Trailside puncture repairs - any tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thought about tubless but it seems like a bit of a faff. Did you all buy tubeless ready wheels, or did you convert a tubed set?

Jody

Stubborn git
Converted a tubed set of wheels. Just have to make sure the internal profile of the rim is OK for it

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nah, swapping out tyres sounds like even more faff! Will have a google at rim profiles and conversion kits next time I need to buy tyres (which will be fairly soon for my rigid bike come to think of it, which would probably benefit from tubeless even more).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I reckon I could change an innertube blindfolded, I have had lots of practice!

Only thing i have used is a section of the old punctured tube chances are if the tyre is damaged then the old tube is in need of replacement anyway.

Just means having some fun cutting a patch from the old tube without a knife or pair of sissors.
I was lucky? On the one occasion I needed to chop up the old inner tube to make a repair boot I just used the old Stanley knife blade that was stuck through my tyre! https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tales-from-todays-commute.105055/post-2775064

I reckon I could change an innertube blindfolded, I have had lots of practice!

But can you do this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV4H04Rmkrw

clockworksimon

Über Member
I have just bought a small inflation & puncture repair canister from Decathon for a couple of pounds. Same principle as for cars without spare wheels. Thought I would carry this around for if I got a puncture on my cheapo, bolted wheel commuting bike. Haven't spoken to anyone else who used one yet but like the idea of a quick get me home solution without resorting to detaching wheel/tyre replacing or patching tube etc. Removes need for carrying pump, tyre levers and spanner. Doesn't weigh much. Figure it would render the inner tube unrepairable if used but they are so cheap this isn't a great problem. Thinking about how to get moving quick when it is windy, raining, cold and your mates are all getting impatient and cold waiting while you are fumbling with inner tubes etc.

That said, when on proper rides I always carry two spare tubes, pump, levers and repair patches. Have been caught out before when a group of us rode into a lane where the hawthorn hedges had just been cut. Everyone had a spare tube, but most of us got double flats. Those of us with two spare tubes carried on the ride and those which just one tube walked. It was pouring with rain so not chance of attaching repair patches!

lpretro1

I have just bought a small inflation & puncture repair canister from Decathon for a couple of pounds. Same principle as for cars without spare wheels. Thought I would carry this around for if I got a puncture on my cheapo, bolted wheel commuting bike. Haven't spoken to anyone else who used one yet but like the idea of a quick get me home solution without resorting to detaching wheel/tyre replacing or patching tube etc. Removes need for carrying pump, tyre levers and spanner. Doesn't weigh much. Figure it would render the inner tube unrepairable if used but they are so cheap this isn't a great problem. Thinking about how to get moving quick when it is windy, raining, cold and your mates are all getting impatient and cold waiting while you are fumbling with inner tubes etc.

That said, when on proper rides I always carry two spare tubes, pump, levers and repair patches. Have been caught out before when a group of us rode into a lane where the hawthorn hedges had just been cut. Everyone had a spare tube, but most of us got double flats. Those of us with two spare tubes carried on the ride and those which just one tube walked. It was pouring with rain so not chance of attaching repair patches!
It will work on pin prick type holes but not on big splits or snakebite ones you will just end up with lots of goo everywhere

Top Bottom