Train Behaviours!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's probably a few on here doing mixed mode commuting that involves train. I was just wondering what behaviours you'd like to see trained out of your fellow train passengers.

I grew up with rail workers and getting free journeys in the cab so I know i get a bit precious about train user's behaviour. Fare dodging is a pet hate as is feet on seats. I also don't like the guards interpreting the rules on penalty tickets according to prejudice. Shopping bags riding without tickets on a packed train. I mean do they really need seats and if so should they not have their owner buy a ticket for them? Not serious about the ticket.

What grinds your gears regarding train users? Any ideas how to train people out of the behaviour?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not so much annoying, just an observation.

Have you noticed that the only people who walk through the doors between carriages on commuter trains are morons?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm not sure you can train out behaviour.....but....
  • feet on seats - just rude
  • bags all over seats on a crowded train, or insisting on sitting on the aisle and leaving with window seat free and then making people climb across you - just move up.... (caveat this changes a bit in Covid time and I don't train commute now)
  • playing music or social media clips without headphones - I don't read the paper aloud so shut the feck up!
  • standing in the doorwell rather than moving down the carriage on a crowded train when people are trying to get on

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Passive aggressive seat blocking, (like taking the aisle seat or putting bags on seats) annoys me anyway on an 8am commuter train where everyone knows it's going to be rammed, but a bag on a seat is considered rank amateur level douchery on Thameslink. The art has been raised, now a coffee, a newspaper, a laptop, some documents, and a bagged breakfast will be artfully laid out.
"I have an idea... people might feel empowered to ask me to shuffle across or move my bag, but surely nobody's going to ask me to move all my breakfast stuff and work project that I've laid out carefully in the window seat, and will cause a big huff and kerfuffle to put away".

What they don't realise is that I'll go for that seat everytime. I've had a proper ding dong with one entitled old prat, he took it most personally. Sorry chump, but I'm not standing all the way into London so your Cappuccino can sit in comfort, and it's precisely your type of aggressively selfish behaviour that's really going to bring out my righteous and indignant side. So shift your crap, numpty.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And on the tube ...

Not waiting for people to get off before trying to board. I will push you back off and I'm bigger than you, and I have the weight of everyone else getting off behind me.

And of course, standing on the wrong side of the escalator. I will shove you to the correct side. And no, I won't ask you to move first because know you're just doing it to be clever.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What they don't realise is that I'll go for that seat everytime. I've had a proper ding dong with one entitled old prat, he took it most personally. Sorry chump, but I'm not standing all the way into London so your Cappuccino can sit in comfort, and your selfish behaviour is really going to bring out my righteous side.
Yes I used to go for that seat in preference to another free seat, just to wind up the beggars. particularly if it was a two seat bench vs a 3 seat and / or the other occupant was quite slim, nowt worse than sharing a 2 seat with a fatty and getting squished. if you knew the train would be fully rammed, I considered it wise to share a two seat with a skinny, rather than go for an empty two seat bench and risk a fatty plonking dow next to you at the next stop.

the funniest thing I saw on the morning commute, was someone get on with a bag of clean laundry (presumable fresh from the tumble drier / laundrette) and start pairing up socks and folding their smalls on the commute to work:wacko:

MichaelO

Veteran
Women applying make up on the journey into work. I don't want to have to watch your morning farding (they seem to invariably sit opposite me!)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
People making phone calls. “Yes I’m on a train. Sorry calling you back been through a tunnel. Yeeees I know…”

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
My absolute biggest hate, is the person who sits in silence for 45 minutes on the platform, waiting for the train. Then, when they board, decide to get their mobile out and have a large, loud, and sometimes personal phone conversion for 20 minutes :wacko:

Top Bottom