Train Behaviours!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had someone stand in the bike space yesterday with his bag. He looked really annoyed when I politely asked him to move so I could put my bike away.

My colleague get's this regularly, even getting on the train at the start of the train's journey - drives him nuts.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not trains but ferries. I sit on the inside of a 3 seat and 2 extremely fat wimmen insist on sitting next to me and I get squashed into the wall. One goes off to the cafeteria and returns with a jumbo burger and double portion of chips each plus coffee and with no table I am eventually just forced out. They always seem to pick on me somehow.
Then the are the "Little Englanders" who gather round me and have a loud conversation about how wonderful it all is and how friendly everybody is. They only ever meet those like themselves anyway so have no idea. This continues as I am really a non person being I am only a" local". Grrr.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Overground ones don't - they're one big long intestine. The other mainline commuter trains tend to, even new ones.
I think Electrostars (GWR, Southern, GN, c2c) do, but they're an obsolete design now. New commuter trains tend not to: the Aventras that replaced the Electrostars are most common (TfL/LO/XR, GA, SWR if they ever resolve their dispute) and don't, nor do current Desiros (Thameslink, GN Moorgate, SE Citybeam, not sure about the older LNW and EMR ones), or Flirts (GA Stansted line).

They've blown the bloody doors off.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Luckily I only take the bike on the train about twice a year. The positioning of the bike racks on the new TFW train designs is stupid.

The bike rack only holds two bikes, one of which has to be facing backwards. However, the rack is so far inside the train (past the sliding door and at the narrowest part of the train opposite the disabled toilet) that if you take the bike in forwards and there is already a bike there facing forwards, there's no room to turn the bike around, especially with other people behind you, squeezing past :angry:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
... a bag on a seat is considered rank amateur level douchery on Thameslink. The art has been raised, now a coffee, a newspaper, a laptop, some documents, and a bagged breakfast will be artfully laid out
Not helped by the fact that whoever specified those trains didn't put any drop-down tables on the seat backs. I believe they're going to be fitted eventually...

And of course, standing on the wrong side of the escalator. I will shove you to the correct side. And no, I won't ask you to move first because know you're just doing it to be clever.
can't agree with that mr trousers - they might be absent minded. tourists whatever.
Takes no trouble to say excuse me.

(can't help but think you don't actually do this)

classic33

Leg End Member
And on the tube ...

Not waiting for people to get off before trying to board. I will push you back off and I'm bigger than you, and I have the weight of everyone else getting off behind me.

And of course, standing on the wrong side of the escalator. I will shove you to the correct side. And no, I won't ask you to move first because know you're just doing it to be clever.
Leeds it's stand on the left anyway. Same on the stairs, use the left-hand side, for your direction of travel. All marked this way.

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
(can't help but think you don't actually do this)
You may get a mumbled "stand on the right", but I'm not going to politely tap you on the shoulder and negotiate. You will definitely be moving.

No one stands on the opposite side from absolutely everyone else unless they are doing it out of sheer mischief.

Standing on the platform in the exact spot that passangers need to use to exit.
When I have a loaded bike ready for a controlled fall onto the platform, I sometimes have to shout at people to move aside.
At stations, not moving away from the bottom of the steps or elevator.

You may get a mumbled "stand on the right", but I'm not going to politely tap you on the shoulder and negotiate. You will definitely be moving.

No one stands on the opposite side from absolutely everyone else unless they are doing it out of sheer mischief.
just ask/say "excuse me". Use a certain tone if you like.

I tend to think the folk doing it out of a sense of mischief/an FU attitude are very much in the minority.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Hehe! So I'm not alone.

There used to be a fashionably dressed man in checked, modern suit, shoes and no socks (not even those short, hidden ones). He stands right in front of the doors and makes everyone go around him. Often he's getting on before anyone has got off.

One time I was at the door with my brompton unfolded ready to go. There he was but I was ready. Doors opened and first thing out was my front wheel swinging. He fell back and was the last one on. Something else must have happened because he suddenly started to be the last one on. I can imagine. There's a few big lads getting off there.

Top Bottom