Train Behaviours!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive said it before, and I'm saying it again:
"Arriving into..."
"Station stop..."
Idiotic.
what's the reason for that? - I've never managed to figure it out. Is it some sort of device to jolt folk out of a snooze with the word "stop"?
Next thing, they'll be announcing, always possible with electronic booking: "the next station stop is Entwistle, where I'm afraid Mr and Mrs *** will be leaving us"

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Not on Northern Trains (the company I mean) the announcements are by the guard who usually has a pronounced Northern accent.
And sometimes a sense of humour. We used to get ones who would announce deadpan that we were only on time because it was downhill all the way from Outwood to Leeds, or that the next stop was Wakefield Monkfish.

That pales into significance compared to the enormous Eastern European (I think) buffet trolley guy who used to serve some services between York and Leeds first thing in the morning. He would announce his presence by crashing through the doors between carriages bellowing "DRINKS! SNACKS!" while moving at a speed that implied he didn't want to be interrupted.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
For all those who complain about train announcements, try living in Wales, where you have to hear it twice - once in Welsh and once in English

Sitting on a platform listening to some "the train arriving at" announcements is quite amusing.

By the time they've finished listing every stop, in Welsh followed by English, the train has already arrived and departed :laugh:

jpj84

Veteran
Sharp intakes of breath from all on the platform, as the automated tannoy voice mispronounces Euxton, or Westhoughton 🤨

Could they not have checked the pronunciations before recording them?

steverob

Guru
When I was regularly going to Swansea by train it was the interminable announcements that were the issue. "Welcome aboard the 1315 FGW service to Swansea, calling at here, there, everywhere, this, that and the other, arriving into Swansea at 1615. First-class is wherever it is, the buffet car is somewhere else, with a selection of all the stuff you'd expect us to have, but not the ONE ACTUAL THING you'd like. The quiet coach is somewhere, please don't use your mobile. Our next station stop is some godforsaken hell-hole, probably Reading. Thank you for cluttering up our nice neat train, and if you'd all FOAD that'd be splendid. Reading our next station stop."
I may be paraphrasing somewhat.
And you get this after every station, so about every twenty minutes.
*rocks gently backwards and forwards*
Don't forget at least two rounds of "See it, say it, sorted" as well. By the time the whole spiel has finished upon leaving the previous station, you only get about a minute's worth of silence before the announcements start again to tell you the station you're about to arrive at.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Moses on a Moulton, I'd forgotten about that one.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The announcements on Great Northern Electrostars are a joy. They sound like a radio edit for "This is the farking service to Ely" with a seconds silence before "service". I think it's because all of the trains are secondhand from Southern, Thameslink or Gatwick Express, these lines were originally meant to merge into Thameslink, and no one ever put the smaller company name onto the system, but swearing does accurately reflect how passengers feel about the bumpy uncomfortable ugly things after years of the "Happy Trains".

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The announcements on Great Northern Electrostars are a joy. They sound like a radio edit for "This is the farking service to Ely" with a seconds silence before "service". I think it's because all of the trains are secondhand from Southern, Thameslink or Gatwick Express, these lines were originally meant to merge into Thameslink, and no one ever put the smaller company name onto the system, but swearing does accurately reflect how passengers feel about the bumpy uncomfortable ugly things after years of the "Happy Trains".
There was a censored sweary woman on some new Overground stock a while ago. They obviously hadn't programmed the carriage numbers in. She used to say "This is coach number BING-BONG of BING-BONG" You were left to imagine what she really said.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
what's the reason for that? - I've never managed to figure it out. Is it some sort of device to jolt folk out of a snooze with the word "stop"?
Next thing, they'll be announcing, always possible with electronic booking: "the next station stop is Entwistle, where I'm afraid Mr and Mrs *** will be leaving us"
If you are blind it would be very useful indeed.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom