Train Behaviours!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Quiet carriages would be really useful if only they were fitted with mobile-phone signal jammers. At the moment, they seem to be packed with the oblivious who are unable to read the signs and, as such, are to be pitied; and that dangerous section of the population that assumes that the rules apply to everyone except themselves. When challenged, offenders nearly always reply with 'I'm only…' Well, if only the train operators would have the courage to back up their promises and install jammers, most of the problems would be solved.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Quiet carriages would be really useful if only they were fitted with mobile-phone signal jammers. At the moment, they seem to be packed with the oblivious who are unable to read the signs and, as such, are to be pitied; and that dangerous section of the population that assumes that the rules apply to everyone except themselves. When challenged, offenders nearly always reply with 'I'm only…' Well, if only the train operators would have the courage to back up their promises and install jammers, most of the problems would be solved.
Nice idea, but there may be safety arguments against. They'd be very expensive. They may not be legal. They'd have to conform with reams and reams of rail transport regulations. They'd be likely to affect other carriages.

I don't have a better suggestion though. Other than employing heavily armed guards who confiscate offenders' phones and throw them out of the window. Oh, hang on, the windows don't open any more.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Worst problem I've experienced is Black Friday last year and I had my bike on a train, in the bike carriage. There were bike stickers all over the train window showing it was the bike bay. Anyway, about a 100 people crowded round my bike and when it was time to get off they wouldn't let me get my bike off. I politely said excuse me I need to get my bike off about 6 times, then just had to ram it through. People just wouldn't move and why should I not be able to get off?
Some people are so ignorant and self centered its disgusting.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Just folded my bike while a fearsome lady from the train operator told the kiddies to leave the bike, disabled, toilet and door area as there's plenty of seats on the train. They scarpered with their tails between their legs all 50 of them. Then the "hard" lads came straight back! If she got on the train again she'd have them whimpering to their mummies again.

Still, the lady said I can now get my bike in now. First time for ages I've got further than half out the door!

Why do they stand by the door and toilet area rather than take a seat? It's always the kiddiwinks that do that. What age will they grow up and sit down? 18, 19 or 20 perhaps?

Still, I now get to stand with a metre between me and the nearest person, they're not wearing masks obviously! Oh an there's a couple of kiddiwinks listening to videos on one of their numbers phones. Loud as they like. Oh! Just seen there are opening windows. Dare I...?!!!!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Quiet carriages would be really useful if only they were fitted with mobile-phone signal jammers.
When I was regularly going to Swansea by train it was the interminable announcements that were the issue. "Welcome aboard the 1315 FGW service to Swansea, calling at here, there, everywhere, this, that and the other, arriving into Swansea at 1615. First-class is wherever it is, the buffet car is somewhere else, with a selection of all the stuff you'd expect us to have, but not the ONE ACTUAL THING you'd like. The quiet coach is somewhere, please don't use your mobile. Our next station stop is some godforsaken hell-hole, probably Reading. Thank you for cluttering up our nice neat train, and if you'd all FOAD that'd be splendid. Reading our next station stop."
I may be paraphrasing somewhat.
And you get this after every station, so about every twenty minutes.
*rocks gently backwards and forwards*

simongt

Guru
On the trains & buses oop North, interesting that all the announcments over the tannoy or whatever are in fairly posh English.
Suppose it's so all the southern tourists and infiltrators can understand them - ! :rofl:

On the trains & buses oop North, interesting that all the announcments over the tannoy or whatever are in fairly posh English.
Suppose it's so all the southern tourists and infiltrators can understand them - ! :rofl:
not the case on the Northern trains i travel on a fair bit, nor the many buses.
One of the Transdev buses to Keighley announces one of the stops as wetherspoons, which I find amusing/quite like.

I was talking of experience in the Scarborough / York area. Tourists. :whistle:
ah, don't know, tho was in york a while ago on the bike.
York is definitely tourist city in normal times, usually gets on my wick.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I northern trains I often get a guard who adlibs with a few extras. Something useful but not exactly train or journey related.

Whatabout the people who use the station elevators whilst not carrying a dog.

I think you can use the elevator with or without a dog - it's only the escalators where you are instructed that dogs must be carried. I've never understood why they don't simply provide easy-carry dogs at both the top and the bottom of each flight of escalators for those of us who don't happen to have one handy.

Top Bottom