Train Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Some people on this thread may already be aware but it's worth pointing out that if you have a hearing aid you qualify for a disabled person's rail card, giving savings for you *and* one companion of 1/3rd off your tickets.
That seems a bit of a strange loophole, as many hearing problems not correctable with aids do not qualify and vision problems correctable by glasses do not qualify. .

The eligibility criteria is "Are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid”. A Hearing Aid prescription (or NHS battery book) is one of the ways you can demonstrate eligibility. There are others.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Possibly, although the LNER example would indicate a little less gouging of your wallet.

Well I'll need a ticket on one of those routes once their trial starts, so we will see. I just wish they'd simplify bike booking and be clearer on how they'll be carried. I hate those dangly spaces as whenever I take the bike long distances I always have bike luggage and mudguards. The dangly spaces weren't designed for that.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I don't understand what you don't understand.

I sometimes see two for one deals. You are almost getting two journeys for the price of one! (Or already within 10p of each other).

Instead of seeing the is as two journeys and one journey should be half price, see it as one journey and you're getting the second one for almost free.

It's a bit like when I go shopping and I can buy two packs of crisps for only a little bit more but I only want one pack.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I sometimes see two for one deals. You are almost getting two journeys for the price of one! (Or already within 10p of each other).

Instead of seeing the is as two journeys and one journey should be half price, see it as one journey and you're getting the second one for almost free.

It's a bit like when I go shopping and I can buy two packs of crisps for only a little bit more but I only want one pack.
Yes, there are plenty of things that are baffling about UK railway ticketing, but the difference in price between a single and a return isn't one of them.

and notoriously those supermarket deals are terrible deals - verging on fraudulent.

Are you a train company marketeer?

British train fares are a well acknowledged mess.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Because the train has to go back anyway, even if you don't. Otherwise there would be a pile of trains at one end of the track.
If that's the case, then why isn't the difference between single and returns greater on routes with similar ticket sales in each direction?

It's not quite the case: trains circulate. There are lots of route, crew and stabling restrictions, but not all trains spend their days shuttling on one route before ending up back where they started. One small station to see this in action is Norwich, where some regional trains do simple reversals, but many swap between Cambridge, Yarmouth and Lowestoft runs, plus there seems to be a train which arrives from Lowestoft about 7am then its next service takes it to Liverpool!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
If that's the case, then why isn't the difference between single and returns greater on routes with similar ticket sales in each direction?

It's not quite the case: trains circulate. There are lots of route, crew and stabling restrictions, but not all trains spend their days shuttling on one route before ending up back where they started. One small station to see this in action is Norwich, where some regional trains do simple reversals, but many swap between Cambridge, Yarmouth and Lowestoft runs, plus there seems to be a train which arrives from Lowestoft about 7am then its next service takes it to Liverpool!
There is a depot at Norwich (Crown Point?), so the trains come back to Norwich, i.e. arrive from Cambridge, and then set off for a return trip to Yarmouth, etc.

Most people want to return, at least at some point. A bit tricky trying to work out which routes have similar sales for single trips only in each direction, and then making an exception for those routes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Go on then: explain why it's only a few pence different... :laugh:
Typically the cheap returns are off peak. A full price standard return is generally significantly more than a full price standard single. The returns are priced that way to appeal to a target segment of travellers who want to make return journeys outside peak times and to encourage use of the service during off peak hours (or to discourage use during peak hours). If you want an answer as to how and why they come up with the specific pricing policies they do I can't give that; If you want a justification for that kind of pricing policy I can't give that either. But the answer to your question is: It's pricing set by the supplier in the aim of maximising revenue while balancing use of the service: They think people will buy more if priced that way.

It's been like that as long as I can remember, even buying return bus tickets in the 70s, I think. (Could be wrong there)

Top Bottom