Train Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps @Mr_Kipling can tell me if something I heard recently is true? A train-assisted ride was starting from one station, and heading home from a different station on a different line. The organiser said to buy a return to/from the start station. I queried whether this would be valid from the finish station, and her reply was that the train operator (Southern) would be OK with any return ticket as long as the price would cover the journey. I cannot believe this is true, but she was adamant that it would be OK.
(As it happens, the ride was cancelled due to bad weather, but I feared that a group of well-intentioned but misinformed people were going to find themselves having to buy an extra single ticket in order to get home.)
For next time, if it is on a weekend and you can plan in advance - and all the trains are Southern - then a DaySave might be the best choice.

But as they are non refundable and need to be purchased 3 days in advance, you'd have been stuck with them.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yesterday I bought a single ticket for £26 instead of a return for £26.10. I didn't realize what I had done until just one ticket dropped out of the machine. I could have bought a new pair of tyres with the money that I had wasted.

One way of cutting train fares, if you like riding a bike, and have no issues with carrying luggage, is to train it to one place, go for a bike ride, hop on at another station. Often do this travelling between london and the north west. Also avoids the sheer hassle of booking a bike on the intercity trains. Now screwed on both west and east coast lines. Also means I can decide to travel at short notice and virgin trains can shove their "promo" emails.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yesterday I bought a single ticket for £26 instead of a return for £26.10. I didn't realize what I had done until just one ticket dropped out of the machine. I could have bought a new pair of tyres with the money that I had wasted.
Typical of illogical pricing if I catch the train to work it's £6.30 single or £6.90 return but this normally works in their favour as I tend to buy a return just in case the weather is bad & I don't fancy the ride home

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Possibly, although the LNER example would indicate a little less gouging of your wallet.
Good, but it's fair for say I don't trust the TOCs on this. Or anything else. The idea that they are straining every sinew to simplify ticket pricing is a bit odd, considering passengers never wanted the Confusopoly they inflicted upon us in the first place.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Good, but it's fair for say I don't trust the TOCs on this. Or anything else. The idea that they are straining every sinew to simplify ticket pricing is a bit odd, considering passengers never wanted the Confusopoly they inflicted upon us in the first place.
Sounds like another person who's realised that "improved at- seat catering service" really means "ripping out the buffets and putting understocked trollies on that can't move through the train properly to serve lukewarm tea and coffee made from dust"!

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Simplifying the fares could mean removing all special offers and off peak fares. Beware what you wish for.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Some people on this thread may already be aware but it's worth pointing out that if you have a hearing aid you qualify for a disabled person's rail card, giving savings for you *and* one companion of 1/3rd off your tickets. Unlike other cards, such as the under 25 rail card, there is no restriction on the times or dates it may be applied.

Also, have a search for sites which will work out your cheapest fare for a given journey by splitting your tickets. See this article on Money Saving Expert

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some people on this thread may already be aware but it's worth pointing out that if you have a hearing aid you qualify for a disabled person's rail card, giving savings for you *and* one companion of 1/3rd off your tickets. Unlike other cards, such as the under 25 rail card, there is no restriction on the times or dates it may be applied.
That seems a bit of a strange loophole, as many hearing problems not correctable with aids do not qualify and vision problems correctable by glasses do not qualify. Another odd loophole is that you can have a disabled railcard if you are prohibited from driving because of epilepsy, but not for any other medical prohibitions.

The whole UK railcard system is a mess. The disabled railcard should be brought into line with other definitions one way or another and most of the rest should be replaced with simple discount cards like in some other countries.

Top Bottom