Train ticket machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife tells me she's come across a problem which is news to me.

She needs to travel regularly on a train leaving at 09:03. In our area, cheap off-peak tickets can only be used after 9am. The automatic ticket machine at the station switches over to offering off-peak fares in the menus, at 9am precisely.

That doesn't leave much time to buy a ticket and then get to the platform! The only alternatives seem to be (1) buy the ticket the day before, or (2) queue for the staffed ticket office, or (3) pay the higher fare.

Anyone else had this?

subaqua

What’s the point
yes.

and i will buy the tickets in advance, so i can save time at station. rather arrive and have an extra 10 minutes to get coffee and relax than rush around and get all stressed.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The railway industry has failed to join up it's thinking. If I order a ticket over the net the system assumes I'm honest about passenger's travel time and elegibility for a rail card. The Revenue Inspectors can catch me if I break the rules.

If I book at a machine I'm still on 'scout's honour' over railcards. But RPI & ticket barriers need some help 'cos I might be an inveterate 'twirly' and I damned well cannot buy an off peak ticket during peak hours.

If I present myself in person I CAN buy an off peak ticket before 09:00 unless it's for my daughter in which case I cannot have one unless I remember to carry her railcard!!

I suspect some of this is leagacy stuff agreed at privatisation when internet sales were undreamed of and ticket machines at best primitive. but perhaps the DfT can get it's head out of microamanaging the timetable and rolling stock and do someting constructive to help the customer.

There, I feel better now!!

Top Bottom