Trainer and real question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sjw

I'm on a trainer but I'm hoping to get riding in the real world soon.
Are they very different from each other?
My goal on the trainer was to do 25 miles a week. I've surpassed that.
I don't race nor have i any intention to. I just like pootling along at my own pace, getting fitter... when I first started 3 miles on flat was a struggle, now I'm enjoying 10+ at a time

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm on a trainer but I'm hoping to get riding in the real world soon.
Are they very different from each other?
My goal on the trainer was to do 25 miles a week. I've surpassed that.
I don't race nor have i any intention to. I just like pootling along at my own pace, getting fitter... when I first started 3 miles on flat was a struggle, now I'm enjoying 10+ at a time

There is a lot more things to contend with on the road, balance, observation, positioning. If you have never ridden on the road, I would takey bike to a quiet road, lane and practice a little. Don't ride in a busy town/city until you can ride confidently on quiet lanes. Potholes, vehicles and other obstacles are the main areas to cope with. Obvious road sense is learnt through experience.

Re getting fitter, pottering to racing isn't as big a jump as you might think. It will improve fitness aswell. Good luck and stick at it.

It seems a long time ago now, but I went from a few miles per ride to over a 100 miles and from single days to multi back to back day tours.:okay:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
As @CXRAndy says...

The fitness you gain on the trainer will transfer to the road, it’s also easier on your backside in the RW. If you do a little virtual competing and open up the taps every now and then, you and your lungs will appreciate it when you’re dealing with RW obstacles.. hills..

Join a league. You don’t have to complete them every month, you can do as much or as little as you please. However, taking part and cycling against others (or their ghosts), can inspire - it can also help measure improvement.

I’m not a racer either, more into endurance than sprints but I do ride against others if only to stretch the air bags.

Very well done so far.

:thumbsup:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Real World cycling can be intimidating if you have not really done it before. If you are a driver you will have some road sense. However on anything not enclosed the outcomes of mistakes, yours or others, can be many time worse. Try finding a bikeability scheme near you to help get you started.

https://bikeability.org.uk/

Having said most of the downside, the upside is outstanding. The boost you get from reaching your goals while IRL riding can't be underestimated. That hill you dream of climbing, but are scared to attempt, once done, leads to other greater challenges. Go:bicycle: ing, you'll enjoy it.

Top Bottom