Training for a 2,500km Charity Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smallers

Hi Folks,
I'm currently training for a 2,500km charity ride from Portugal to East Yorkshire, England. The event is in April 2012 and the goal is to cover 100km per day minimum to complete the ride in 25 days or less. I'll be using a hybrid bike with panniers and carrying a lightweight tent.

My training started 3 weeks ago and, as a newbie to cycling this year, I'm out 4 times per week alternating my rides between the hybrid and my road bike. I'm doing a longer ride (55km this weeks) twice per week and a shorter ride (40km this week), adding 5 km to each ride each week until I get to 2 x 80km rides and 2 x 65km rides per week. After that I will just increase the shorter rides until all 4 rides are 80km and then have an easy week before a week with a couple of 100km rides. This should take me up to near April 2012 when I'll have an easy week before heading off.

How does this look to you more experienced tourers?

Cheers,
Andy

I'm not an experienced tourer but have you got bar ends, butterfly bars or something ? a flat bar will get awful sore on the hands and wrists during that. Good Luck :smile:

OP
OP
S

Smallers

Hi HLab, yes I've been advised to get some butterfly bars, so it's good to know others think the same.
Thanks.

Top Bottom