Training in "reverse"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I was planning on training in reverse, for 3 reasons:
-I haven't been on the bike much over winter, and want to get my fitness up quickly
-The days are longer in summer than winter
-It's nicer to spend 6 hours on the bike in summer than winter

My plan is to do a mix of interval/strength/LT training, either on the road or on the turbo trainer, and easier shorter rides (30-40 miles) on the road.
As it gets to spring, do less interval/strength/LT training and do longer (70 - 100 miles) rides on the road.

The way I see it, is that endurance is the ability to use a certain proportion of your strength over an extended period of time, so if I increase my strength first, then endurance second, I will be able to use a greater proportion of my strength over the same period of time.

Any thoughts?

If you're not planning on racing this year then it's fine, but if you are planning on racing next year it might screw you up a bit.

The idea of doing the quick stuff in summer is so you're peaking in time for racing, if you do the quick things in winter, you'll be knackered by time the season starts, thus killing your racing next year.

And you will probably get sick of doing intervals when it's chilly.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
If you have good base fitness and don't plan to race this season or next I'd say yes otherwise it seems a bit counterproductive. You need to have good endurance to build up strength- it can sometimes stress the body out too much and doing it in reverse seems to be counter to how the body adapts in a healthy way. I'm talking from personal experience, basically you need the endurance fitness for yourmor body to cope with higher intensity training and to become strong...your fitness will improve but it will be safer for adapting slowly and taking your time.

Good luck!

montage

God Almighty
Long miles in the winter months put hairs on your chest.
You say you are training, but what for?

If for 3rd/4th cat racing then a couple of interval training rides a week, couple of medium ones at a gentle pace and one long one will be more than enough. As summer comes up the intensities and the distance, but most importantly enter as many races as you can. Try to factor in weekly time trials into your training as well. Once the level of racing gets harder a more scientific approach is needed, but for now just do as much as you can without overdoing it.

Keep us updated with how you get on

Top Bottom