Training plan help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I'm trying to construct a training plan and need some opinions on it. I think it needs some improvements but I don’t know what, seems abit complicated?

I am intending on training to basically get faster, so to increase my TT performance, which in turn will allow me to get faster, yes higher average speeds over my normal rides. But I'm unsure as to how to place the activities, I'm wanting to be able to get in blocks sometimes, so I might do 3 days on, then a rest day or two, then a day on etc.., I always plan to do long weekend rides. I have to fit the interval training in too.

trainingshcedule2.png

The weekly plan is where I will plan what I will do on what day, the highlighted red area is designated for if I have some work on that day. If I do have work on that day, I will choose to do the light blue ride, for example on Tuesday that would be "45 miles - flat", but if I were not at work on Tuesday, I would plan to do the dark blue ride, which is " interval training 6x4min - 3min rest interval". In the Week plan on week one I have choose to do the dark blue ride, week 2 the light blue, I have got them one cell too high though. Obviously I cannot plan in advance really so I would fill in one week at the beginning of the week.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Will

jimboalee

You may want to put an hour or two aside for the supermarket; and then preparing, eating and digesting your meals.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
You need to broaden/develop out this micro cycle into a few more which differentiate between targets as to show a progression into actual TT race days.

Good general training.. - you are not showing specifically recovery rides which are critical which is one point of note.

Assuming your aim is to produce hard fast 10 and 25 TT times with enhanced power development as an end result of good training.

Sadly if you are serious about your training, you may have to purchase good and effective training plans from accredited coaches.

lukesdad

Cant really see your rest days training everyday will detract from your overall goal as you will hit a plateau and not improve especially if you keep to the same plan. It will need to be tailored as you improve. Fatigue will set in if you are not careful.

A lot of people overtrain to improve their fitness they peak,and either drop off and wonder why their race performance has stayed the same or got worse or drop dead.

Will1985

Über Member
Why not wait until you get your 09/10 timetable before planning what to do? This season will still be running at that point.

I don't see any recovery in there either (unless you count a Wednesday when there is too much study time.

I have posted about rest days.

The bottom week plan, if a cell is highlighted, that is what I will do, anything that is white (in the week plan), is a rest/recovery day), so infact in the above plan, I have 4 recovery days in the week.

My recovery days usually involve being off the bike, when I am on the bike I tend to ride normal, usually fast basically, not killing myself and riding at max though.

I need to get some routine, without it I'm thinking too much, the current routine is just untill the end of september, where it may change slightly or even allot.

See when I go back to Manchester, I expect to have college and also a job and try to fit training in, the bonus of being in the middle of Manchester is unlike here at home, I can cycle in the night, but only in street lit areas.

I have suffered from overtraining and due to this usually have plenty of recovery, I was having 2 days off after a long weekend ride but I've started to noticed I am starting to recover quicker again so 1 day is enough again.

screenman

Legendary Member
What are you aiming for?? in terms of performance, way to many miles if you just want to do fast 25s or 10s.

lukesdad

What are you asking us for then?

I don't know, help maybe?

I've got lots of aims really, I want to improve TT performance, I can't really perform to any decent level for any TT over 25 miles, I can do plenty of miles at an average of up to 20mph, but I want to increase my speed up to 100 miles really and endurance. Maybe just all around, and need to alter my training plan to suit, possibly modify it so I can do blocks of say 4 days and then rest but I cant think of what type of rides and what sort of distance I should do.

montage

God Almighty
I think you may need to be really versatile with your training programme .... given your knee issues. I have had knee problems due to muscle imbalance, and I decided what I am going to do every morning for now...having recently got back onto the bike after 3 months.... I try to do every other day a hard workout.... with the other days either being rest days or slower rides......this seems to work for me at the moment..... though as soon as this knee issue is gone it is hello to a training plan.

Thought of putting your training plan into 3 or 4 week blocks? I find this works for me (when im not injured) more effectively that 1 week blocks. .... I was doing 1 really hard week, 1 slightly less hard week, then a "recovary" week. ..... then you up the tempo/distance for the start of the next block of 3..

It's so confusing, I have confused myself, I think I'll end up giving up on this training plan and just riding, trying to keep a rough routine, tuesday intervals, thursday intervals or long ride, saturday or sunday long hilly 100+ miles, days inbetween rest or just another ride depending on how I feel.

When winter comes if I get a job I might just resort to a turbo trainer so I dont have to go out at night and do a short crappy ride because it's too late and dangerous to do a decent longish ride.

lukesdad

Get yourself a copy of the Lance Armstrong Performance Program you might not use all of it but its a good read and it will certainly get you thinking.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
To stop the confusion you need to seek professional advice from a professional source.
1st stop - your club.
NO coach is going to give you gratis training plan based on your goals and current condition which needs to be fully assessed.
They have to make a living, you know and I know you are young but stop thinking like a student and realise that sometime down the line you are going to have pay your own way in life.
So, if you have a specific question, then post it here and you will get a range of 'opinions'.
Don't expect a full critical anlysis of your own training plan - which I'm afraid will probably not be good enough to raise your own bar in terms of performance at competitive levels.
Ask around at your club.
By the way, training plans do not have to be complicated but they do have to be specific.

screenman

Legendary Member
Have you tried talking to Peter Read if he is still coaching, as he is only 11 miles from you. Knackered knee's is often a sign of over doing it.

Top Bottom