Transcontinental Race 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You have to see the fun factor, surely? Morning ferry arrivals just now:
1659684623317.png

GuyBoden

Guru
Adding a ferry route in is becoming popular. It has been used in the TCR before and appears regularly in the Pan Celtic Race and probably the Wild Atlantic way. It just adds another element to the race that the riders have to figure out. They know about them months in advance. I have not heard the riders complain about them.

Considering, that for the elite, it's a race. Imagine having to wait for a ferry during a cycle race, I don't think it's a good idea.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Considering, that for the elite, it's a race. Imagine having to wait for a ferry during a cycle race, I don't think it's a good idea.

It is not just a flat out cycle race. Putting in parcours over rough terrain and Ferry crossings are other elements that the riders have to manage. This is not unusual for ultra rides in europe. A flat out race would be like an unsupported TDF. Its not that But it is strange that you used the word elite. It has been used in several contexts about the race for the first time this year. Very little is mentioned about the riders in the top 10 and they are not seen. People want to see how the "normal" riders are managing. It does appear to have become very elitist.

nagden

Über Member
It is not just a flat out cycle race. Putting in parcours over rough terrain and Ferry crossings are other elements that the riders have to manage. This is not unusual for ultra rides in europe. A flat out race would be like an unsupported TDF. Its not that But it is strange that you used the word elite. It has been used in several contexts about the race for the first time this year. Very little is mentioned about the riders in the top 10 and they are not seen. People want to see how the "normal" riders are managing. It does appear to have become very elitist.

I agree, there does seem to be a hint of elitism this time. I have nothing but admiration for the top riders. On the other hand I find myself being more interested in all the competitors and would like to know more about them. In my mind anybody who attempts or completes this course is elite.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Frank is over the Danube and heading for the finish.

72nd | Frank Proud
United-Kingdom.png

Seen: 8 m ago
Est Distance: 4649.07 KM
Daily AVG: 317.57 KM
Est Speed: 33.67 KM/H
AVG Speed: 13.20 KM/H
AVG Moving Speed: 18.10 KM/H
Moving Time: 10 d 17 h 2 m (73%)
Stopped Time: 3 d 22 h 18 m (27%)
01d.png

34.67°C Clear Sky
Wind: 6.26 m/s
course.png

Sunset in 5 hr 55 min
Batt: GOOD

Current situation as I post. Almost finished now.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I don't do social media. Can someone point to an article or report summarising what went on?

With my thanks in advance.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last edited:

frank9755

Cyclist
Finished!
Back home last night. A bit tired.
Shame to miss most of the finishers' party - I was targeting it for the last 9 days, but hours slipped away here and there and couldn't quite do it.
Really enjoyed it, it went well for me. Wonderful adventure. Saw so many amazing places, head full of memories and untold stories. Wonderful cameraderie with other riders. Bike and kit good, no punctures.
I lost focus twice which cost me a lot of time - after my first scary road in CZ and after the crazy CP4 parcours, where I fell, broke my cleat, ran out of food and out of water in an 8 hour mountain biking session.
Got woken up by the Romanian police when asleep on a park bench. They were very good (much better than here, I expect!)
Advice from Christoph Strasser: 'If your route is not very good, just throw it away and follow the road signs. Apart from in Italy where they all say Tutti Direzione.'
4 people knocked off by cars out of 270. Definite issue over viability of the format where free routing encourages use of the fast main roads. E Europe main roads much busier than I remember from 2016, and cars and lorries bigger. Horn widely used to facilitate overtaking in the absence of clear road or line of sight. Would I do it again with 1.5% chance of being knocked off? Not sure I would at those odds.

Top Bottom