Transfers and rumours 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BMC is becoming CCC next season. GVA has signed a new contract. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck is joining him.

Porte is off to Trek-Segafredo, which I think we all knew already. Rohan Dennis is joining Bahrain Merida, and Juergen Roelandts is going to Movistar.

Rumour is that the sponsor wants to bring in Majka as GC man.

CCC is Polish, so that would make sense.

Landa wants to go back to Astana as sole leader, apparently. It's not as if anyone could foresee the too many chiefs scenario at Movistar

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I watched the Volta ao Algarve last year and Antunes came 5th overall, winning the final stage and looked very impressive, beating the likes of Roglic and Dan Martin.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Talking of promising young Polish riders, whatever happened to Leo König?

<googles>

Ah, turns out he’s Czech, not Polish, and he’s not that young any more either... Looking at his results, he seems to have had trouble finishing races this season, never mind winning them. Wonder what went wrong there...

ETA: long-term knee problems, apparently.

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Has anyone heard of Cav going to Aqua Blue?

No, nor me...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Geraint has apparently just said on 5 Live that he might consider going elsewhere. But only to a team strong enough to support him properly.
My guess is that he'll stay though.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Geraint has apparently just said on 5 Live that he might consider going elsewhere. But only to a team strong enough to support him properly.
My guess is that he'll stay though.

When he mentioned on the One Show that he hadn't signed a new contract yet, it was in response to a "What next?" type question, so he's definitely keeping his options open - but probably more for the purpose of getting a better deal out of Sky than because he genuinely wants to go elsewhere.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Such as where? There's only a fag paper between the top GC guys, the difference being the power of the Sky team who are unrivalled. His best chance is to stay with Sky and put a druidic curse on Froome.

I reckon Thomas is such a level-headed rider that he could use the Sky train to his advantage even if he weren't on the team, in the same way that Dumoulin did this year and Uran did last year.

The real question is whether he would be stronger than a fully fit Froome. He certainly benefitted from both Froome and Dumoulin having the Giro in their legs this year, plus Nibali and Uran crashing out early.

ETA: and Porte, of course!

Last edited:
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Still, hard to imagine him riding for any other team...

Will BMC/CCC want a new GC man next season? Even if they do sign Majka, I don't see him as being a real contender.

With Landa on his way out, Quintana proving to be a busted flush and Valverde due to draw his pension, maybe Movistar could put in a bid?

UAE? A double-pronged attack of Thomas and Martin could be fun to watch.

After giving this some thought , it is really hard to see where he fit in another team, I think he would need a team as strong as sky is , hence my thinking he will stay put. as far as , ive heard some folk say he only won coz froome was tired, Nibali and porte were out, well you can dissect almost anyones win and come up with stuff like that, it doesn't make it any less of a win , everyone left in it had the same race to do and he beat them.

As @smutchin said maybe Movistar , but Thomas would want a guarantee of being GC, not something Movistar are very good at if this years tour was anything to go by.

How about quickstep , a strong team by any means.

what does all this mean,..... well it probably means I don't know what im on about

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom