Transfers and rumours 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greipel to Fortuneo is an odd move.
He won't be in many WT races
One place further down the field for Bouhanni :laugh:

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

Interesting. Makes sense for them, but will it make sense for Thomas? They would need to sign a few domestiques for him as well. Who do they have at the moment? Caruso and Schar and not much else, by the look of it. Would GVA give up stage hunting to work for Thomas? Roche is probably past it. Frankiny looks promising but doesn't have much experience.

I didn't realise the new CCC team is a merger - I guess that answers @brommers question about Antunes. He might be a useful domestique too but again doesn't have any experience at World Tour level.

I think QS would be an excellent choice
Rouleur also think so; maybe.

"How’s this for a silly season transfer suggestion: Geraint Thomas should move to Quick Step.

We should point out that we have heard no rumours that this is likely, or that an offer has been made, and is purely wishful thinking on our part. But it would be good, wouldn’t it?

With his Tour de France victory should come an unlocking of the next (and presumably last) few years of his career. Sure he could chase another Grand Tour, even another Grand Boucle, but lightening is unlikely to strike twice. With so few chances to do so left, Chris Froome is sure to have dibs on a fifth Tour to elevate him to legend status and will, unlike this year, throw everything at it.

So Thomas would either be banking on getting his chance again, or have to settle for the Giro himself. We know how well that went last time. Besides, he’s never shown any particular interest in becoming a multiple Grand Tour winner. He’s got one now, proven he’s up there with the best. So what’s next?

We know he can ride the cobbles with the best of them - he won the Junior Paris-Roubaix back in 2004 and always seems to enjoy the pavé - so why shouldn’t he make the jump to the number one Classics team around and try to bag a Monument as well? It’d be a risk, but it’d be an adventure too. Plus Bradley never managed it.

Thomas could stay where he is and name his price but Team Sky will never commit to the Classics in the way Quick Step do. On the other hand, the Belgian team don’t do leaders like the big money Brits. But give Geraint Thomas a guaranteed start at both Flanders and Roubaix and, with such a strong squad beside him, it’s easy to imagine him winning either one or the other. Although it’s been said that few riders who leave Team Sky go on to bigger things, even fewer who land at Quick Step fail to succeed.

It would likely mean a pay cut but is he really that motivated by money? Brian Holm said last year Thomas is the one rider he’d love to sign. Have a word, Brian."

Adam4868

Guru
Nooo not CCC , I cant be doing with the orange kit !
miZHWWxr5FUvHxIQBZZgGgg.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
There's about as much chance of Thomas going to QS as there is of Marmy doing the LEL.
Moscon to Dimension Data?

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anyone know when Ben Swift's contract is up? he has done very little since leaving Sky.

...which is ironic considering he left to get more opportunities to race for himself.

I interviewed him in August 2016, by which time he must have known that he was leaving Sky, but he didn't let on. The swine. That was a waste of everyone's time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thomas is staying at sky..........he said an hour ago in his BBC interview that meetings have been had and will be all sorted very soon

Top Bottom