Transport ladder by bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
How can I transport a 6ft (about 1.8m) tall folding ladder on a bike?

Define a folding ladder: one of those indoor decorator's ladder that you open up and has steps on one side. The other side is there for balance, forming an "A" shape.
How far do I have to transport it? 3 miles, on roads.
Do I have a trailer? Nope, just a bike and bungee cords.

I tried finding pictures of window cleaners transporting ladder by bike but to no avail.

EDIT: I got hold of a pickup truck.

Last edited:

Looks a bit dodgy to me.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Those look a bit far-fetched for my liking - I think I'll have to find another way.
Even that bike in the first photo with the stretched frame looks like the ladder is overlapping the front wheel so will make slow speed maneuvers tricky.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is a thread for @Accy

He's gone quiet this week. Probably arrested for parking fine evasion. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Those look a bit far-fetched for my liking - I think I'll have to find another way.
Even that bike in the first photo with the stretched frame looks like the ladder is overlapping the front wheel so will make slow speed maneuvers tricky.
I've done the over the shoulder carrying, which is why I said with the feet trailing, not in front.
It's not as hard as it looks.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you're considering pushing the bike with the ladder strapped to it, it would probably be faster and less effort to just walk with the thing over your shoulder and leave the bike at home. unless you can ride back ladderless once you've delivered it.
Modern aluminium stepladders are featherweights compared with the old wooden extension ladders you used to see the window cleaners riding around with, not to mention the bucket hanging off one end of it!

View attachment 607304

Looks a bit dodgy to me.
@Andy in Germany uses something similar.

Yup, that's an Xtracycle, and the same model as I use. There is an attachment to carry wide items which appears to be attached (the aluminium tube under the ladder at the back is probably part of a sideways extension) this can be used in conjunction with another small frame allowing long items to be strapped at a slight angle so they pass outside of the riders leg. It wouldn't be visible from this angle though.

It has to be said that even rather heavy and unbalanced loads are no trouble once the bike is moving, I suspect this setup looks a lot less stable than it is when you are riding it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom