Travel In the Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a relatively recent (fairly balanced?) Guardian article illustrating this and supporting what @Phaeton and @slowmotion say:

This may indeed be the case, but it's a complex issue. For example, would ten employees each working at their individual home make greater demands on the energy supply than if the same ten employees were in a single office? Is it the same for colder or warmer months? In different parts of the world?
The benefit from reduced (carbon consuming) travel might indeed outweigh other considerations ... but an alternative view might be to reduce the carbon consuming aspect of the travel, rather than the travel itself.
I'd be interested to see the TOTAL national energy consumption figures prior to, during and post crisis. We've travelled less for sure, but have we consumed less overall?
An average car produces 120.4grm of CO2 per Km, in 2017 average distance a day was 31.75Km, so roughly 3.75KG of CO2 per day per car (UK),
In the last year and a half we as a household, 2 people home all the time one works full time, have produced approx 5.4KG of CO2 electric, and 16KG of Gas per day, so approx 21.4KG a day

Just used this to work out a rough guide to what we produce.
https://www.carbonindependent.org/
This is the result
1588767071874.png

So we could do much better.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why is it only air travel that's a viable means of getting abroad? Why only checks at airports? Should not all ports be subject to the same rules. How many on a single ferry sailing compared to a single airliner?

D

Deleted member 26715

Agree with you about ports etc. But as for for airlines it's speed of you're only going due 2 weeks 1 week travelling isn't fun

Slick

Guru
Why is it only air travel that's a viable means of getting abroad? Why only checks at airports? Should not all ports be subject to the same rules. How many on a single ferry sailing compared to a single airliner?
We did the overnight ferry to NL last year and was hoping to do similar this year but after all those horror stories about cruise ships and how people were treated, I can't see me doing that for some time to come. :eek:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ferrys are massive and you aren’t crammed in sitting 3 inches from the same people for 3 hours.
So it’s easier to do social distancing on a ferry, but I agree that it would also be an impossible task to deep clean a ferry after every crossing.

And the cruise ship business is going to really suffer until a vaccine is found. Who in their right mind would risk getting trapped on a ship for a month.

Slick

Guru
Ferrys are massive and you aren’t crammed in sitting 3 inches from the same people for 3 hours.
So it’s easier to do social distancing on a ferry, but I agree that it would also be an impossible task to deep clean a ferry after every crossing.

And the cruise ship business is going to really suffer until a vaccine is found. Who in their right mind would risk getting trapped on a ship for a month.
Narrow passageways and stairways would cause issues as they couldn't make them all one way, same with the stairs and trying to get breakfast would need to be of military precision.
I do wonder who would take a cruise now?

vickster

Legendary Member
Narrow passageways and stairways would cause issues as they couldn't make them all one way, same with the stairs and trying to get breakfast would need to be of military precision.
I do wonder who would take a cruise now?
My loony parents have booked one for next July...albeit just 10 days around the UK :wacko:

Slick

Guru
That said, I'm sure everything will be fine. 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
14 months should be enough time you hope.
Indeed, I guess that’s what they thought! They’re meant to be going to the Isle of Wight in October (rescheduled from May)

I expect my holidays will be UK based this year. I’d still like to go visit my friend in Florida, who’s having a very rough time (should’ve been there this week), will need to see if that’s feasible / sensible! Maybe early next year

D

Deleted member 26715

We've not been abroad for holidays in 15 years, apart from an extended business trip I did to Florida & the wife came with me, I really am not that bothered about going outside the UK, there are so many beautiful places here I haven't seen. We did IOW in March first time I'd ever been there, there's also IOM I have only spent 24 hours there back in the early 70's watching the race, although if I remember I slept a lot of it. Although we had/have Florida booked in October, but still waiting to see what happens with that one, I really don't want to go, but the wife is still up for it, I'd rather bump it into next year.

Until we take our responsibility for the future very seriously now, this current situation will look like a picnic.
I just read the doomsday glacier is melting 6x quicker than had been thought, I live 40 odd miles from the coast if sea levels rise by 32ft (if all the ice melts it could rise 2-300ft) I will be 3 milles from the coast with wonderful views of the North Sea. Though not likely in my life time possibly with in a 100 years, we can't wait for governments to change nor the those concerned with money, we have to change.

Another record high CO2 level announced, 418ppm, compared with 1958 318ppm, what are the two notiably things that have happened in that time frame that could have seriously added to the levels, personel transport like cars, and increased air travel many just for holidays. Industry is another but it could work on energy from less fossil fuels, if not we just have to except a drop in living standards.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I agree in the need to reduce our consumption. I have all but give up the car. This was pre-lock down by the way and i haven't filled up since early February... My income comes from reviving old electronics destined for landfill and repairing old watches. We as a family are trying. However, how many are willing, in a position or able to give up their vehicle for example? I try not to preach either, what works for us may not for others and i don't feel it's down to me to convince them, i don't feel i'm innovative enough. I do think people ought to take personal responsibility for themselves and the climate they live in, in a sense that i don't believe the answer is going to be forcing people to change, You'll only be met with equal or more opposite resistance. I think drip feeding people with the knowledge required and having people far more intelligent than i come up with solutions for those who are reliant on high carbon solutions. On this point, it is already happening...

Top Bottom