Travel In the Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
When it finally becomes easier to travel I was listening to some bods discussing air travel , we probably all know the hassle going airside at airports to combat terrorism, does anyone else think that at every possible point of entry to a Country , it should become incumbent of the all Countries to test in some way to check/test all passengers and crew etc ,
It would be more time consuming but as is with terrorism a very necessary evil

Slick

Guru
Got to be honest and say I've lost all appetite for air travel and don't think I'm the only one despite having 2 trips booked for later in the year. I reckon Michael O'Leary got it right when he said it will take 2 years to get back to anywhere near what they would consider normal. There was also talk of going much further than testing on Marr this morning, quarantine was mentioned although how realistic an option it was is anyone's guess. Apparently the science before the virus hit was don't quarantine but once it's under control you have to protect your borders and that is now an option. Testing will maybe become the least of our worries.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't be travelling by air for a very long time, just can do without the hassle that will be there, and a worry that an 'outbreak' could strand you overseas, with insurance companies probably having a CV19 exemption going forward.

We'll still be socially isolating at our caravan once more travel is allowed.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We were having the same discussion last night.
We won’t be going anywhere this year. Imagine getting quarantined on day 13 of a 14 night holiday. Or not being able to get back at all. The risk just isn’t worth it with 2 kids.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Holiday hotels would also be terrible. Everyone touching surface.
Imagine an all inclusive restaurant with 2m social distancing its impossible to do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Coronavirus: What global travel may look like ahead of a vaccine https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-52450038

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Got to be honest and say I've lost all appetite for air travel and don't think I'm the only one despite having 2 trips booked for later in the year. I reckon Michael O'Leary got it right when he said it will take 2 years to get back to anywhere near what they would consider normal. There was also talk of going much further than testing on Marr this morning, quarantine was mentioned although how realistic an option it was is anyone's guess. Apparently the science before the virus hit was don't quarantine but once it's under control you have to protect your borders and that is now an option. Testing will maybe become the least of our worries.

Quarantine would kill travel for holidays unless it was based on some quantifiable measure such as you have a temperature etc.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've always said that by far,the worst part of a 'foreign holiday' is not so much the flying there,more the thought of your return journey. For me it spoilt my holiday. After we'd/i'd reached the half way stage of for example a fortnight in Portugal, the worry of having a bad airport experience would kick in. I'm not scared of flying at all. What worried me was the thought of missing the flight home,usually due to some dozy idiot who wasn't there at their hotel on time for the coach to take us to the airport,meaning it was a case of get off the coach and run to the check in bit at the airport. Then there's always a drunken idiot,but i'm going off topic here so....

I haven't travelled by air since 86, I have never seen the need to travel abroad for holidays, I am and have been against air travel the way it's been for sometime because of my environmental beliefs, I think we are greedy species that on the whole follows what is told is good, yet most of us here I belive know the damage CO2 ect is causing, yet many still choose to flew, (bloody things ruin many of my photos as well).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think we are greedy species that on the whole follows what is told is good,
I agree! If any good has come out of this virus stuff it's that i now know and now feel comfortable that i'm not alone in shunning 'foreign holidays'/travel. I was often asked 'have you booked a holiday this year'? I'd reply,not but i can always just set off in my car and find a B&B somewhere. They'd look at you like you were simple. 'What, nothing nice then like Spain or Greece' they'd reply.:rolleyes: I even found myself and sometimes still do, making stuff up just to pacify them. 'Er yes,i went to Portugal in April. It was ok'. I tell them.:rolleyes:

I haven't travelled by air since 86, I have never seen the need to travel abroad for holidays, I am and have been against air travel the way it's been for sometime because of my environmental beliefs, I think we are greedy species that on the whole follows what is told is good, yet most of us here I belive know the damage CO2 ect is causing, yet many still choose to flew, (bloody things ruin many of my photos as well).
I totally agree. Air travel for purely leisure reasons should be permanently curtailed to combat climate change. Travel abroad for leisure purposes should be by rail, sea, cycling, walking and only allowed by road if using a very low emission vehicle.
If people think the COVID lockdown restrictions are severe it is nothing to what is required right now to combat the effects of climate change.

screenman

Legendary Member
I totally agree. Air travel for purely leisure reasons should be permanently curtailed to combat climate change. Travel abroad for leisure purposes should be by rail, sea, cycling, walking and only allowed by road if using a very low emission vehicle.
If people think the COVID lockdown restrictions are severe it is nothing to what is required right now to combat the effects of climate change.

Yet many use the internet without thought of the damage it is doing, 2 wrongs etc.

Top Bottom