Travel In the Aftermath

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'We're all in this together',though some more than others it seems!
Quite old news,but there's nothing like a globalist,environmentalist showing how hypocritical they can be!:rolleyes:
1588508910035.png

https://www.contactmusic.com/bono/news/bono-pays-.1.500-to-get-forgotten-hat

Yet many use the internet without thought of the damage it is doing, 2 wrongs etc.
Can you quantify this please, I believe my electricity is sourced from renewable energy (OVO), I think about everything I use or do to reduce CO2, I know how much my computer system uses, I have a pretty intensive graphics card for when I am using Photoshop, but it is set to sleep if away for more than 5 mins and screens after 2 mins, I don't use fans ect in the summer, though the computer could do with better cooling. We have two fridge freezers, one is really Sandra's and her sons, the other is mine in the shed, (not a great place), but if there is not much in it, it has bottles filled with water to keep it from over working when it's warm, I have made use of two second hand sheds, and one green house, the sheds were free, but needed a bit of TLC, the G.H. was £30, plus 200 or so for spares and base, I grow a lot of potatoes a particular type Sandra likes, I compost most garden waste and all food peelings, along with some cardboard ect. If I use a car it is to take Sandra shopping or bulk items, like cement bricks woods ect.
So no I don't have double standards, I am not perfect but I try to live by my convictions to leave as little damage as possible to the planet whilst i am here.

screenman

Legendary Member
Can you quantify this please, I believe my electricity is sourced from renewable energy (OVO), I think about everything I use or do to reduce CO2, I know how much my computer system uses, I have a pretty intensive graphics card for when I am using Photoshop, but it is set to sleep if away for more than 5 mins and screens after 2 mins, I don't use fans ect in the summer, though the computer could do with better cooling. We have two fridge freezers, one is really Sandra's and her sons, the other is mine in the shed, (not a great place), but if there is not much in it, it has bottles filled with water to keep it from over working when it's warm, I have made use of two second hand sheds, and one green house, the sheds were free, but needed a bit of TLC, the G.H. was £30, plus 200 or so for spares and base, I grow a lot of potatoes a particular type Sandra likes, I compost most garden waste and all food peelings, along with some cardboard ect. If I use a car it is to take Sandra shopping or bulk items, like cement bricks woods ect.
So no I don't have double standards, I am not perfect but I try to live by my convictions to leave as little damage as possible to the planet whilst i am here.

My point is you can always do more, I am not as perfect as you are that is for sure.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I would be very happy with the government introducing a one return flight a year rule.
This would be ample for most people.

There must be thousands of people with holiday homes in Spain that will be unused this year.

screenman

Legendary Member
I would be very happy with the government introducing a one return flight a year rule.

There must be thousands of people with holiday homes in Spain that will be unused this year.

The latter I think must be quite sad, imagine working hard for a dream and having it snatched away, mind you maybe we are all getting a bit of that at the moment.

D

Deleted member 26715

We have a flight booked for Florida in October, 7 of us, Wife, son, daughter, son in law, 2x grandkids & myself, it was going to be the big one & only as I have no desire to fly again, but this looks in jeopardy, but we are in limbo, I would love to cancel as I no longer want to go, I don't want to go to the US for the next 12 months, but until 'somebody' says we can't then we can't claim on the insurance.

My point is you can always do more, I am not as perfect as you are that is for sure.
No matter what we hold dear, will matter not a jot unless we have a sustainable planet, the thing is I am not sure we can reverse the damage, the planet would recover pretty quick from an incorrect ecological in balance if it were allowed to or managed right, the biggest thing that will be our downfall I belive is the damage plastics will do at microscopic levels, back as far as the 90's it had been noted that some plastics gave of pheromones that effect certain insects reproduction, but I did read a paper on certain bacteria that have evolved to break down plastics, so maybe there is a small glimmer, but that is nature trying to correct the in balance again.

We have a flight booked for Florida in October, 7 of us, Wife, son, daughter, son in law, 2x grandkids & myself, it was going to be the big one & only as I have no desire to fly again, but this looks in jeopardy, but we are in limbo, I would love to cancel as I no longer want to go, I don't want to go to the US for the next 12 months, but until 'somebody' says we can't then we can't claim on the insurance.
This the problem, Sandra was book to fly to Jamica or one of the other islands back in Sept, she was flying with Thomas Cook, they went under the morning she was due to fly, but until notice came through that she didn't need to travel to the airport, she had to proceed as she was going, in hindsight it was probably best for her given her current mobilty issues, but her passport runs out this year and she say's she's not renewing it, so it was going to be her last trip abroad.

This is totally obscene, it is wrong and a total waste of earths resources when there is so much homelessness around the world, we have to find better ways to drive sustainable local economies, all us together as one united world, not a fractured one.

I am ready to be shot down in flames over this, but isn't the internet reliant on huge amounts of energy used by the IT companies and service providers to run their warehouses full of computers and servers?

When I travel by bus, often almost empty, I personally use no fuel, but the bus uses rather a lot. So I am complicit.

Top Bottom