Travelling to and in France with bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Claudia

G'day all!

Just after some opinions from people with similar experiences to this odd one...

So, I got some really cheap return tickets for me and my partner, from London to Paris and then on to Agen (SW France, near Bordeaux) from my friend that works for Eurostar.
We brought the bikes in hired bike boxes and once we got to Paris, we had to transfer from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse as the TGV departed from there.
Easiest option would be getting a taxi - so we did! I knew it wouldn't be cheap... But, maybe 50€? 60€?
The guy charged us NINETY EUROS!! That took just under 30 minutes. I thought it was an absolute rip off. I paid that much for the whole return journey!!
I think the fact he didn't have a distance reader might mean something... Has anyone ever had a similar experience?
Just asking because we still have to do the opposite journey to then go and see a bit of the final stage of the TdF before heading back to London and deep down I believe I can have this journey done slightly cheaper...

Or maybe I'll think about investing on a cheap bike to keep here at my mum's, considering the money added to the journey (taxi, bike boxes hire, hassle, time spent on trains...) it doesn't workout that cheap after all!!

Ganymede

Veteran
Or maybe I'll think about investing on a cheap bike to keep here at my mum's, considering the money added to the journey (taxi, bike boxes hire, hassle, time spent on trains...) it doesn't workout that cheap after all!!
^ I think I'd do this! Crossing Paris is hellish. Though I think I'd be a bit shocked at 90 smackers. I just googled and found this French site which reckons on 19 - 28 Euro between Montparnasse and GdN, so it looks like you might have been sold a pup.

http://www.taxis-paris.fr/taxi-gare-montparnasse.htm (in French) - the sums mentioned are guidelines and may be more in heavy traffic, though it says it shouldn't be a huge difference.

Combien coute un taxi entre la gare Montparnasse et ...
Important: Les estimations de tarifs communiquées au départ de la Gare Montparnasse le sont à titre informatif. La fourchette proposée correspond à une moyenne aux heures creuses et pleines de circulation. Il est possible donc que la note finale soit légèrement inférieure ou supérieure en fonction du trafic.

• Aéroports: Comptez 25-35 Euros pour Orly et 47-62 Euros pour Roissy
  • Gares: Comptez 15-23 Euros pour la Gare de Lyon, 18-27 Euros pour la Gare de l'Est, 19-28 Euros pour la Gare du Nord.
  • La Défense: Comptez 22-30 Euros pour le quartier de la Défense.
Hope that helps!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Hate using taxis and won't on principle wherever there is an alternative. Never managed to get a taxi anywhere for the price people quote on websites or on Trip Advisor, I expect to end up paying at least twice the prices people claim to be charged!

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

^ I think I'd do this! Crossing Paris is hellish. Though I think I'd be a bit shocked at 90 smackers. I just googled and found this French site which reckons on 19 - 28 Euro between Montparnasse and GdN, so it looks like you might have been sold a pup.

http://www.taxis-paris.fr/taxi-gare-montparnasse.htm (in French) - the sums mentioned are guidelines and may be more in heavy traffic, though it says it shouldn't be a huge difference.

Combien coute un taxi entre la gare Montparnasse et ...
Important: Les estimations de tarifs communiquées au départ de la Gare Montparnasse le sont à titre informatif. La fourchette proposée correspond à une moyenne aux heures creuses et pleines de circulation. Il est possible donc que la note finale soit légèrement inférieure ou supérieure en fonction du trafic.

• Aéroports: Comptez 25-35 Euros pour Orly et 47-62 Euros pour Roissy
  • Gares: Comptez 15-23 Euros pour la Gare de Lyon, 18-27 Euros pour la Gare de l'Est, 19-28 Euros pour la Gare du Nord.
  • La Défense: Comptez 22-30 Euros pour le quartier de la Défense.
Hope that helps!

It does help, thanks! There was hardly any traffic that day, Sunday afternoon... I had seen those average prices too that's why I could hardly believe it and it was too late to argue as my boyfriend had already paid.

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

Hate using taxis and won't on principle wherever there is an alternative. Never managed to get a taxi anywhere for the price people quote on websites or on Trip Advisor, I expect to end up paying at least twice the prices people claim to be charged!

I see where you're coming from. I never use taxis either but as we had the 2 boxes and only just over an hour between trains, I had little choice here...

Ganymede

Veteran
It does help, thanks! There was hardly any traffic that day, Sunday afternoon... I had seen those average prices too that's why I could hardly believe it and it was too late to argue as my boyfriend had already paid.
It looks from that site like you could reserve a taxi, with a prix fixe - maybe that would be safer?

Crankarm

Guru
You've been ripped off. If your French is good you could haggle and if the taxi driver still wants a rip off amount tell him to feck off, in French.

Or alternatively you could get a Brompton and have no such problems plus a nice ride across Paris.

OP
OP
Claudia

Claudia

You've been ripped off. If your French is good you could haggle and if the taxi driver still wants a rip off amount tell him to feck off, in French.

Or alternatively you could get a Brompton and have no such problems plus a nice ride across Paris.

He did speak english, the bastard! He must have been doing this "job" for a while...

Ganymede

Veteran

http://www.youswear.com/?language=French
(NSFW)
it was too late, I suppose! if I had know it would be 90€ I would have told him to sod off, there and then! he even picked us up before we reached the taxi rank.. I see now how naive we were!

live and learn, I say...
Ah well, next time! - usually the taxi queue has a bloke running it, calling the taxis forward and allotting people to the right sized car. Possibly unofficially (I guess the drivers give him a cut) but it works.

Top Bottom