Tree removal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi

Anyone used the services of a tree surgeon before? I need to get rid of some conifers (these trees must be about 10m tall, I reckon). How much was it per tree?

Thanks

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
We had one taken out of our back garden, must be ten years ago now. I think it was £150. My missus didn't happen to have a cheque, bloke said no worries, I'll pop back tomorrow. That's very trusting of you, sez her. Oh, we don't have too many problems with non-payment, says he, 6' 3" of ironman Aussie, draped with a monster chain-saw...

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
150 quid a pop. Yeah, that's about the figure I had in mind...ish.
Thanks swee'p.

zacklaws

Guru
I have a friend who's a tree surgeon, who gets work from the local council and he gets £500 for every tree he drops for them, but these are big tree's not conifers, so it would be a lot cheaper no doubt.

Just had a quick browse around the net and prices seem to range from about £150 to £500 a tree.

Is it not possible to just saw them down yourself if there only conifers, chop them up and take them to the tip, or wheelie bin, so much at a time, or even burn them in the garden, like I have just done with some laurel tree's and hawthorns.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have a read on the web about felling trees, it's not something to be undertaken lightly if you're inexperienced.

It's a pity that evergreen wood is crap for burning in a stove - too much resin and tar, or I'd offer to do the job and keep all the good wood!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I use them extensively at work (12 acres of woodland to manage) and recently used one here at home. Size matters, as does the surrounding environment, in so far as it affects the time/care needed to drop the limbs to the ground. Generally a bit cheaper if you let them take the wood; I guess they sell it.

Ball park in these parts is £150 - £250 for a straightforward single tree - get quotes from two or there, like builders the price varies by how much work they've got on and how much they think they can get away with! We got change from 190 for the one at home, but one monster at work cost over £750 to take down. btw en ensure the trees are not covered by protection orders.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
threebikesmcginty said:
Is it still a con if a man charges any more? - I fell for that. :smile:

Dunno, I'm stumped:wacko:

We had a whole load of slightly smaller (6-7ft) conifers removed some time ago - they'd been turned into a hedge and had been in for a good 10 years or more, so some of the trunks were getting pretty thick. The guy who did it used a tree puller; essentially he lassoed two trees at a time with a very thick band, one tree at each end. The band had a strong winching mechanism in the middle. Using the thicker of the two as the anchor, operating the winch gave leverage which uprooted the other tree.

The last tree of all was dug up, (which took ages).

beanzontoast said:
We had a whole load of slightly smaller (6-7ft) conifers removed some time ago - they'd been turned into a hedge and had been in for a good 10 years or more, so some of the trunks were getting pretty thick. The guy who did it used a tree puller; essentially he lassoed two trees at a time with a very thick band, one tree at each end. The band had a strong winching mechanism in the middle. Using the thicker of the two as the anchor, operating the winch gave leverage which uprooted the other tree.

The last tree of all was dug up, (which took ages).

I went through something similar at the last house. The tree puller I used was made by Land Rover. Chain around the tree attached to heavy rope on the towbar, blanket over the rope to stop any whiplash if the worst happened.

Top Bottom