Trek fx2 or similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Hi guys im just starting out again after a few yrs not riding,didnt do much to start with to be fair haha

Ive been recommended a trek 7.2fx as a decent all rounder.
Where i live is alot of country lanes and potholes so not sure too skinny tyre will be good.

I like the hybrid style as ive had road bikes before and prefer a hybrid.

Im probably going to be doing 20 30 miles once i get going.

Im having trouble finding a fx2 second hand near me so to broaden my search i was wondering if there is anything similur i could look out for?

Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Specialized Sirrus and Cannondale Quick should be considered too.
What’s your budget, how tall are you and where do you live?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you don't think the skinny tyres will do the job on bad road surfaces get one with fatter tyres, there are plenty of models available. Dont bother with suspension forks as they add little comfort.

vickster

Legendary Member
Boardman hybrid or Whyte R7 (maybe a bit roadie but take 32-35mm tyres). Potholes are best avoided if at all possible on any bike :smile:

If you can't get a 7.2, look for the higher specced 7.3 or 7.4? Almost all manufacturers offer a flat bar rigid fork hybrid, Pinnacle, Merida, Giant, Decathlon etc etc

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Cheers guys.
Yeah i should have said, my budget is about 150 max really as have to buy all the gear to go with it too!

Ive arranged to look at a pinnacle lithium 2 on the weekend suposed to be in good condition, £100

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Screenshot_20190123-072417_Facebook.jpg
Not sure on what year it is
Does anyone know if you can put 700c tyres on these? Would be nice to have the option in the future if i go out with friends on road bikes

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You will certainly be able to put narrower tyres on, maybe around 32c, which when running at Max psi should roll well on tarmac.
Schwalbe Marathon GGs would a good choice.

vickster

Legendary Member
View attachment 448555
Not sure on what year it is
Does anyone know if you can put 700c tyres on these? Would be nice to have the option in the future if i go out with friends on road bikes
Just FYI 700c refers to the wheel size rather than the tyre width. So the bike will take a 700c x 32mm tyre as suggested, maybe even a 28mm. I have Durano raceguards in 28mm and 32mm and they roll well.
Ref the Pinnacle, ask the seller for a copy of the purchase receipt (to check it’s not stolen) and how many miles it’s done and what maintenance. You won’t want to be having to replace worn parts immediately

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just FYI 700c refers to the wheel size rather than the tyre width. So the bike will take a 700c x 32mm tyre as suggested, maybe even a 28mm. I have Durano raceguards in 28mm and 32mm and they roll well.
Ref the Pinnacle, ask the seller for a copy of the purchase receipt (to check it’s not stolen) and how many miles it’s done and what maintenance. You won’t want to be having to replace worn parts immediately

Thanks, im still a little confused with what tyre sizes i can get away with, this is what the tyre original says.
They are quite chunky and would like a nice balance between speed and comfort 20190126_142702.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't overlook the old-school Trek stuff like the flat-bar 720's etc with cro-moly steel frames. Or any of the Nottingham-built Raleigh Pioneers or steel-framed Ridgebacks or even a Falcon Explorer like Mr Biggs on here recently acquired at auction for £12! There's no shortage of decent, simple, dependable flat bar steel bikes out there that are comfortable and sturdy machines with running costs that amount to bugger all. You don't have to confine your pool of used ones to the last few years. If anything, I'd say the 1990's vintage stuff were generally better bikes and would be my first choice every time.
Another good option for pothole-infested roads would be an old rigid MTB fitted with stout semi-slick tyres like Schwalbe Marathons.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't overlook the old-school Trek stuff like the flat-bar 720's etc with cro-moly steel frames. Or any of the Nottingham-built Raleigh Pioneers or steel-framed Ridgebacks or even a Falcon Explorer like Mr Biggs on here recently acquired at auction for £12! There's no shortage of decent, simple, dependable flat bar steel bikes out there that are comfortable and sturdy machines with running costs that amount to bugger all. You don't have to confine your pool of used ones to the last few years. If anything, I'd say the 1990's vintage stuff were generally better bikes and would be my first choice every time.
Another good option for pothole-infested roads would be an old rigid MTB fitted with stout semi-slick tyres like Schwalbe Marathons.
He’s already bought a Pinnacle IIRC

Top Bottom