Trek recalls over 1.5 million bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Refitting a rear wheel with wheelnuts used to be a royal pain in the 'arris. Trying to centre the wheel between the stays and the brake blocks while faffing about with a spanner (Or the stupid bit of tin that passed for a spanner like many cycle tools) led to a serious use of unseemly language. So much quicker and easier when you just have to close a skewer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Refitting a rear wheel with wheelnuts used to be a royal pain in the 'arris. Trying to centre the wheel between the stays and the brake blocks while faffing about with a spanner (Or the stupid bit of tin that passed for a spanner like many cycle tools) led to a serious use of unseemly language. So much quicker and easier when you just have to close a skewer.
That's more a function of horizontal dropouts than the fixings. Fitting a rear wheel with QRs into horizontal dropouts is still a bit of faff (especially if you have to spring the rear forks apart at the same time). And if you don't do it up tight enough it pulls across and rubs on the stays, and if you do it up too tight then the next time you open the QR lots of random bits of broken QR insides fall on the floor, and you say "oops, that was a bit too tight". I've done both of these things on my Dawes in the past couple of years.

But don't worry, after initial focus group feedback proved unfavourable, I've decided to drop my "bring back wheelnuts" campaign. :smile:

Top Bottom