Trek recalls over 1.5 million bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
It seems that all cycle manufacturers - in order to avoid expensive recalls like this QR fiasco - will have to assume in future that the average cycle buyer is a total dickbrain when it comes to even simple maintenance, and with this in mind, build their machines to be as absolutely foolproof as possible. Unfortunately for them the fools will probably still manage to stay one step ahead.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wandering OT a bit ... Really, what is the point of QRs? Well, it's to enable quick easy wheel changes while racing - a need that prompted Tullio Campagnolo to patent the bike QR. But for the rest of us - non racers, what is the point? It saves us having to carry a spanner, that's all.

You even get those special QRs that, for security reasons, need a special tool which seem really daft to me: Slow-Releases. And we have lawyer lips - slow-ish-releases.

I rode bikes with wheel nuts for years and never had a problem. Apart from the envying fancier bikes, and they had QRs, among other features.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wandering OT a bit ... Really, what is the point of QRs? Well, it's to enable quick easy wheel changes while racing - a need that prompted Tullio Campagnolo to patent the bike QR. But for the rest of us - non racers, what is the point? It saves us having to carry a spanner, that's all.
QR hubs are one of the best cycling innovations ever. Just because a few muppets can't figure them out is no reason to go back to wheelnuts. And as oldroadman implied, anyone who can't operate them is unlikely to be able to use a spanner without severing an artery or killing a small child.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
QR hubs are one of the best cycling innovations ever. Just because a few muppets can't figure them out is no reason to go back to wheelnuts. And as oldroadman implied, anyone who can't operate them is unlikely to be able to use a spanner without severing an artery or killing a small child.
Only if you get lots and lots of punctures. Or have a variety of wheels to choose from at home. [Edit: or, like @KneesUp you frequently take the wheel off to stow the bike]

Agree with you re muppets who can't use them. I'm not suggesting we go back to wheelnuts because of muppets - but because of Occam's razor. They aren't necessary. (IMO). I suppose I should add a winky smiley too, as I'm not 100% serious. ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

You even get those special QRs that, for security reasons, need a special tool which seem really daft to me: Slow-Releases. And we have lawyer lips - slow-ish-releases.

I rode bikes with wheel nuts for years and never had a problem. Apart from the envying fancier bikes, and they had QRs, among other features.

QRs are ace. I take both wheels off about once a week to clean the bike. I often transport the bike in the boot of the car which necessitates taking both wheels off. I "occasionally" have a puncture that of course requires me to take a wheel off.
Over the course of a year I must take a wheel off my bike more than a hundred times. Wouldn't fancy that with a spanner

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well if you need to put your bike in the back of a car and need to take the a/both wheels off, having qrs is very convenient. Even fixing a flat they are nice to have. Being able to quickly remove the front wheel easily to allow a u-lock to go through both wheels and the frame is convenient as well. I prefer them over having to carry around a spanner and futzing through bags and pockets to find the thing in the first place. Anytime you don't need a particular tool is a bonus to me -and I'm certainly not a bike racer. It's one of those things (e.g. indexed gears, suspension for mtbing, disc brakes) that I really to like to have.

Of course, everyone has a choice of just using nuts anyway.......

Ok Ok. Point(s) taken. I'll go and sit on my own in the corner with my friction shifters and wheel nuts.
Stay in your corner until we decide we want to reminisce about the good old days. You can play with tubular tyres, cotter pins, centre pull brakes, chromed steel rims, wooden rims, Brooks-style saddles and acetylene headlamps while you wait.

I found this article on the 'net this morning. Compassionate take on the issue:

"But there is a lesson here. Designers learned long ago that part of their job description is to protect people from themselves. If somebody can figure out how to push the cam so that it can go into the brake, they will. If designers can fix the problem, they should. Trek can’t fix crazy cyclists jumping off cliffs, but they can fix this, and that’s good customer relations and good business. I wish more companies thought this way."

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/money/sustainable-business-practices/stories/lessons-from-treks-recall-of-almost-1-million-bikes?utm_content=buffer790a8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#ixzz3YCsYZ5gm

oldstrath

Über Member
QRs are ace. I take both wheels off about once a week to clean the bike. I often transport the bike in the boot of the car which necessitates taking both wheels off. I "occasionally" have a puncture that of course requires me to take a wheel off.
Over the course of a year I must take a wheel off my bike more than a hundred times. Wouldn't fancy that with a spanner
More likely an Allen key on newer bikes. I find it takes about the same amount of time as the no-longer-quick release. It's surely also less likely to be misused by the kind of person who can fail with a QR.

oldstrath

Über Member
I found this article on the 'net this morning. Compassionate take on the issue:

"But there is a lesson here. Designers learned long ago that part of their job description is to protect people from themselves. If somebody can figure out how to push the cam so that it can go into the brake, they will. If designers can fix the problem, they should. Trek can’t fix crazy cyclists jumping off cliffs, but they can fix this, and that’s good customer relations and good business. I wish more companies thought this way."

Read more: http://www.mnn.com/money/sustainable-business-practices/stories/lessons-from-treks-recall-of-almost-1-million-bikes?utm_content=buffer790a8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#ixzz3YCsYZ5gm
Interesting, but as you pointed out earlier, the introduction of lawyer's lips in a previous attempt to solve the problems apparently caused by QR mechanisms has contributed to this problem. I do wonder what problems (and indeed costs) will be imposed on the rest of us by this latest attempt to solve by design a problem that ought to be solved by intelligent use.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Interesting, but as you pointed out earlier, the introduction of lawyer's lips in a previous attempt to solve the problems apparently caused by QR mechanisms has contributed to this problem. I do wonder what problems (and indeed costs) will be imposed on the rest of us by this latest attempt to solve by design a problem that ought to be solved by intelligent use.
Hopefully none. All it needs is either for Trek to source a better QR skewer or for the parts manufacturer to redesign their product so the lever won't go as far in the open position.

It won't make any difference to the function of the QR as the lever doesn't need to move as far as this one does.

Top Bottom