Trek recalls over 1.5 million bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/trek-issues-massive-quick-release-skewer-recall-44144/

Trek is recalling c. 1,000,000 bikes in America, and c.700,000 bikes in the EU due to a front QR skewer that can get caught in the disc if it isn't used properly.

The QR lever in question is a generic part (not a brand name one) and has probably been used by other manufacturers, so they may have to do recalls too.

If you have a low to mid price Trek made from 1999 to to 2015, your bike may well be affected.

Last edited:

User269

The QR lever can get caught in the front disc brake, if it's not been pushed into the 'closed' position.
Surely it's the owners that don't know how to use a QR that should be recalled?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
my old MTB beater fits the timeframe and the QR looks v much the same but its not a disc braked bike. I'm also not the sort of blithering idiot that cycles around with my QR skewers open anyway.

The QR lever can get caught in the front disc brake, if it's not been pushed into the 'closed' position.
Surely it's the owners that don't know how to use a QR that should be recalled?

You would think so but thanks to a couple of ambulance chaser lawyers in the US, we are now burdened with fork drop-outs with "lawyers lips" to safeguard those who should fall by the evolutionary wayside. Those horrible things make a mockery of quick release.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
You would think so but thanks to a couple of ambulance chaser lawyers in the US, we are now burdened with fork drop-outs with "lawyers lips" to safeguard those who should fall by the evolutionary wayside. Those horrible things make a mockery of quick release.
Smugly looks at bike from simpler times without them.

sidevalve

Über Member
Perhaps a general cull of the stupid people might not be a bad idea anyway - the rest of us can divide up their stuff and the world might be a safer place.

My money is on the user not closing the lever properly rather than the lever malfunctioning. I recognize lawyer speak when I hear it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks for the reminder ... I have a friend who is non-technically minded and I noticed on my forum ride on Saturday that her front QR was faulty and needs sorting out!

According to some of the posts above I should simply have let her remain in ignorance and risk death, but I'm afraid that I alerted her to the problem. Sorry!

I'll text her now to see if she got a new QR and is using it properly.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It does state that with proper operation, there should be no problem..... From what I've read, I think its when you try to "close" the qr the wrong way or don't even attempt to close it or forget it (who hasn't seen someone who doesn't know about qrs do that? Or tried to ride a bike and then realized the qr isn't tightened from the last time you put it on?*) and then if it works loose it can go into the brake disc. I'm actually torn on this one -seems like a small thing to not allow a qr to not to do this, but at the same time, you do wonder if someone doesn't use it properly, where do you stop? But I'm tending towards this being a very appropriate recall because I think its reasonable to assume that someone will not tighten the qr appropriately either intentionally or unintentionally (particularly if they are new to cycling) -and speccing the qr to avoid it at least going into the brake disc seems a very reasonable precaution to me (just my opinion).

Lawyer lips? Really? I've got so used to them, I don't even think about them, and I can never recall having a problem with them or even thinking they are any trouble..... They seem like a pretty good idea to me -certainly if you forget to tighten your qr. Or maybe all of my bikes that have had them have been shallow ones?

*for full disclosure, I think this has may be happened to me twice in my life, if that. I do know when it did happen, I knew immediately the wheel felt loose and I didn't even attempt to ride it. FWIW, I'm now of the mindset that a wheel should never, ever be placed on a frame unless it's tightened up -and if it isn't tightened up, keep it out of the frame. Force of habit with me now.

Top Bottom