Triban 3 Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danjanoob

I've seen a bit of criticism to the brake blocks in particular on Triban 3's. Haven't yet had a chance to replace mine yet, but i'm not so sure I will after my commute on Tuesday.

I ride 15 miles each way, from Romford to London Bridge.

I was on the drops on the fastest part of my morning ride, which is on whitechapel road, before the traffic builds up. I was flying down the empty bus lane, about 25mph I'd say, maybe a bit faster, really going for it as I was going to be late. I had my head down for about 2 seconds to rest my neck. The next time I looked up, I notice the traffic on my right is static, and I see through a cabbies windscreen, that he has stopped to let someone turn right across him. This also happens to be across my path. I was probably about 10-15m away at this point. Really did see it at the last second.

I am still amazed at my own calm reaction, and the efficiency of the brakes on my triban. I had been wondering if they would cut it in an emergency stop, and they truly did. From 25mph+ to 1mph in about a second. I cannot imagine how dramatic it must have looked to the cyclists behind me, and I bet a few of them winced. My back wheel had skidded and tried to get in front of me too, but I really held it well. The driver crossing my path did not even notice me, and I turned to look confusedly at the cabbie, who had clear road in front of him and therefore no reason to let the driver turn across our paths. He didn't even say sorry. I just shook my head in disgust and rode off.

Did anybody here witness it?

I just wanted to share, as I was really pleased with the triban and myself. Did not think i'd be so calm in such a situation, after not riding for many years.

Stay on your toes people.

Ningishzidda

Dohhh!

Motorists don't expect cyclists to be doing 25 mph on urban streets.
And what on Earth were you doing taking your eyes off the road? :wacko:

There is a 'contingency plan' to avoid being late. LEAVE EARLIER.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

Dohhh!

Motorists don't expect cyclists to be doing 25 mph on urban streets.
And what on Earth were you doing taking your eyes off the road? :wacko:

There is a 'contingency plan' to avoid being late. LEAVE EARLIER.

All fair points, although whitechapel rd is packed with cyclists at 8.30am doing a wide range of speeds, and drivers in the area should be well aware of this.

subaqua

What’s the point
All fair points, although whitechapel rd is packed with cyclists at 8.30am doing a wide range of speeds, and drivers in the area should be well aware of this.
its fairly well packed with cyclists from about 05.30 and the bus lane is non operational then. that makes for an interesting ride in sometimes.
the pads don't last long on the tribans IME. get some koolstops on there when they wear out.

OP
OP
danjanoob

danjanoob

its fairly well packed with cyclists from about 05.30 and the bus lane is non operational then. that makes for an interesting ride in sometimes.
the pads don't last long on the tribans IME. get some koolstops on there when they wear out.

I can imagine! Thanks for the brake pads advice.

Today i got to thinking about this incident, and realised that I recently changed my tyres to Vittoria Rubinos, which probably played as much a part as the brakes. I think the theory is that your stopping distance is entirely dependant on the rubber your on.

Also occurred to me that I'd only just last week, adjusted the angle on the bars to help with palm ache. This also improved my brake reach on the drops. If the bars had been in their previous position, I would not have got anywhere near as much purchase on the brakes.

Top Bottom