Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just out of curiosity, why did you change the cassette and chain, is there any significant improvement? And did the rear shifter need any tweeking?

quite a few of us have changed over to the SRAM 11-28 cassette simply to extend the range of gears. the stock cassette is either 12-25 or 12-26 (mine was 12-25) and changing to 11-28 just gave me an extra 'granny' gear which I find useful, not just on some of the ungraded climbs on the back roads where I live ( one of the not so flat bits of Cheshire), but also when I take the bike away to Scotland.
The chain will have been changed due to the cassette change, though on a new bike it is probably not necessary, but I would have done it anyhow as well.

As for gear indexing, at first mine did not need it, but after a couple of weeks riding (around 400km) it needed re-indexing. (Shortly after that mine ended up being re-indexed yet again after the gear cable snapped inside the shifter and I had to fit a new one.)

I have also since changed my chainset as well - due to wearing 2 of the rings outs and changed from 50/39/30 that came as stock on my T3, to a 52/42/30 combination which I am finding suits me better.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Hi Oiljam
As SatNav.... says,just a matter of a bit of help on the hills and as I live in a a hilly area (my rides start with an 11% gradient just to get from my house to the main road!), every bit helps.

Gears needed a slight tweak, but it was minimal

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Thanks for your replies @SatNavSaysStraightOn, @2wd. I'll certainly bear it in mind when I come to change mine, I think they're a little lighter than the shimano cassettes aswell. Still plenty of life left in mine yet though.
Since I swapped out my wheels I think my rear shifter might need a slight tweek, when I'm on a quiet road I think I can hear it slightly. Nothing too drastic. Loving my Triban now, I weren't so enamoured with it when I bought it but once you start riding it, tweeking it and upgrading bits you start to appreciate it's actually a grand bike. Happy biking you lot :thumbsup:

Kies

It is with much regret (but Mrs Kies's rather obvious delight) I have sold by beloved Triban 3 :-(
I hope you fellow Tribanites will allow me back onto this thread from time to time, if only to reminisce about her. Having bought the Dahon, and already owning a roadie + hybrid ..... she had to go :-( :-( :-(

oiljam

Active...ish Member
It is with much regret (but Mrs Kies's rather obvious delight) I have sold by beloved Triban 3 :-(
I hope you fellow Tribanites will allow me back onto this thread from time to time, if only to reminisce about her. Having bought the Dahon, and already owning a roadie + hybrid ..... she had to go :-( :-( :-(

How very dare you

You're barred :stop:

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Specialized carbon forks now fitted

bike now weighs in at 9.7Kgs with the pedals :smile:

null_zpsed246d3e.jpg

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Specialized carbon forks now fitted

bike now weighs in at 9.7Kgs with the pedals :smile:

null_zpsed246d3e.jpg

Think I'm going to weigh mine. I'm intrigued. I'll have to strip off.....

.....my bottle cages, light brackets and all added extras. Its got to be accurate after all.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
^^^ Keep em on,you need the riding weight :smile:

Nah don't be daft. I don't think magazine weights include all trinklements. Needs a clean aswell, who knows how much dirt weighs :training:

DaveK

Quick question guys and gals, I am buying the girlfriend a bike and the triban 3 is ideal. She is 5ft4, 29inside leg ish. What size bike would be best suited? 51cm?

Cheers,
Dave

Quick question guys and gals, I am buying the girlfriend a bike and the triban 3 is ideal. She is 5ft4, 29inside leg ish. What size bike would be best suited? 51cm?

Cheers,
Dave

yep - I am 5'6" and the 54cm is just a tad too large for me. But you need to be aware that the 51cm is on 650c wheel not the full size 700c wheel (and hence why I went with the 54cm frame). So different sized tyres/wheels etc in a size that is not as readily available as 700c's.

DaveK

Doh! I guess thats just part of the trade off for being small. I will have a look at one in the store and see what I think. I doubt it will be upgraded much apart from tyres so should be ok

Top Bottom