Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oiljam

Active...ish Member
Oooh its bin quiet on here of late. It must be winter, are they all tucked up in a bedroom. Mines still doing the commute but doesn't get much play time really....its just too cold and dirty to have a fun ride at the mo, don't ya think?

Oooh its bin quiet on here of late. It must be winter, are they all tucked up in a bedroom. Mines still doing the commute but doesn't get much play time really....its just too cold and dirty to have a fun ride at the mo, don't ya think?
mine is busy on commutes... today's was 75km... half of it in the dark on country lanes dodging wods of mud.
winter play is mtb getting muddy! mind you looking at the mud on my T3, it will probably need a wash tomorrow!

Owner of a shiny new T3 here.

Always had a tootle around on cheap clunky mountain bikes before and used to commute to my summer job 4 miles or so each way so nothing serious, but looking to get into cycling properly. I've picked the worst time for it, but after lurking around these forums and doing some research I thought i'd best snap up one of the 'old' red T3s with the carbon forks and such before they become like hen's teeth!

Next up on the list is a set of mudguards that will fit it, so I can ride around my very muddy roads (oh, living in the countryside!).

just found this on my bike... :eek: :cry:

IMG_6362.JPG

I know when and where it happened, just not the how or who!
Dr's surgery last week - I have to chain/lock the bike to some railings which have a wall at the bottom of them and when I came back to the bike a car was parked exceptionally closely to my bike - too close to stand between my bike & the car bumper (despite it being a no parking zone)... I can only conclude that either someone tried walking between car & bike and knocked it over and it slid down the wall or that the car somehow caught the bike....:cursing:) . Further examination has revealed a number of other scratches all of the same degree and age all in the same 'line of fire'. Not impressed... touch up paint from Halfords has been purchased!

oiljam

Active...ish Member
just found this on my bike... :eek: :cry:

View attachment 34245

I know when and where it happened, just not the how or who!
Dr's surgery last week - I have to chain/lock the bike to some railings which have a wall at the bottom of them and when I came back to the bike a car was parked exceptionally closely to my bike - too close to stand between my bike & the car bumper (despite it being a no parking zone)... I can only conclude that either someone tried walking between car & bike and knocked it over and it slid down the wall or that the car somehow caught the bike....:cursing:) . Further examination has revealed a number of other scratches all of the same degree and age all in the same 'line of fire'. Not impressed... touch up paint from Halfords has been purchased!

Gutted eh. I know I would be. Some people don't give a sod about other peoples possessions. Such a shame we have to live with these scumbags :thumbsdown:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Ahoyhoy. As you can see, one Triban 3.

My hubs are well and truly thrashed after 1100 miles or so. What wheelset would people suggest upgrading to? I was considering Shimano R501s but the slightly more expensive Fulcrum 7 wheels seem to get good reviews.
I have some brand new Ritchey WCS Pro Zeta wheels I took straight off my new Sintesi in the shop - shod with Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres & Ritchey Titaniun skewers - they went from shop to car boot - neither have seen the road. Probably a lot lighter than your B'twin jobbies & better made - don't know if it is 'uncool' to mention them ??
Also - (not for sale) I have American Classic Aero 3's in white/black/red - that look the danglies & are light & v.well made, I also have Easton Ea50 Aero's which I picked up cheap-ish from Wiggle (not for sale) - all are good upgrades but the AC's cost about the same as A triban ? Dont know ? About £600.
Can't go wrong with Mavic either - around £300 + will get you some decent hoops - Fulrum 7's are heavy I think.
What about Shimano RS30's ??
Hope this helps.

Since coming back to cycling a year ago I have been using a hybrid
THough I have Claud Butler road bike of 80's vintage in the garage I don't have to time or the inclination to try to do it up.
Want n+1 to be a road bike and really want a triple.
Looking at second hand bikes or maybe a Triban. Gather the red ones are disappearing!
Not in a rush but the weight of this hybrid is too much and I want the more stable riding position of a road bike

quite a few of us have changed over to the SRAM 11-28 cassette simply to extend the range of gears. the stock cassette is either 12-25 or 12-26 (mine was 12-25) and changing to 11-28 just gave me an extra 'granny' gear which I find useful, not just on some of the ungraded climbs on the back roads where I live ( one of the not so flat bits of Cheshire), but also when I take the bike away to Scotland.
The chain will have been changed due to the cassette change, though on a new bike it is probably not necessary, but I would have done it anyhow as well.

As for gear indexing, at first mine did not need it, but after a couple of weeks riding (around 400km) it needed re-indexing. (Shortly after that mine ended up being re-indexed yet again after the gear cable snapped inside the shifter and I had to fit a new one.)

I have also since changed my chainset as well - due to wearing 2 of the rings outs and changed from 50/39/30 that came as stock on my T3, to a 52/42/30 combination which I am finding suits me better.
Wondering if you could put on an 11-32 or similar

SteCenturion

I am your Father
11 - 32 will get you up the North face of the Eiger :snowball:.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Q. How many Triban owners does it take to change an inner tube ?
A. Just the 1 !
Oh & 99 to Shout & Sing about it !!
:bravo:
Don't shoot the messenger.
:angel:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Seriously though - gonna have to go take a gander @ the B'Twins in Decathlon round corner on my meal break - just to see what it's all about !
Will post if I see any red ones available - you all seem to want them.
Q. How many Triban owners does it take to change an inner tube ?
A. Just the 1 !
Oh & 99 to Shout & Sing about it !!
:bravo:
Don't shoot the messenger.
:angel:

As @fluffkitten states the rear hanger is not long enough so the rear mech cannot be 'adjusted' to be far enough away to take anything other than 28 teeth max. If you take the manufacturers word for it 26 teeth is the max! But to be honest a 30 front ring and 28 rear is enough for most things and I don't exactly have a huge amount of muscle (medical condition means it's difficult for me to put muscle on) and I cycle with panniers as well and have managed some pretty steep & long climbs with it in Scotland.

As @fluffkitten states the rear hanger is not long enough so the rear mech cannot be 'adjusted' to be far enough away to take anything other than 28 teeth max. If you take the manufacturers word for it 26 teeth is the max! But to be honest a 30 front ring and 28 rear is enough for most things and I don't exactly have a huge amount of muscle (medical condition means it's difficult for me to put muscle on) and I cycle with panniers as well and have managed some pretty steep & long climbs with it in Scotland.
At present after a year of cycling I still have to change to granny gear on my hybrid 28 on the front and 30 on the back
I have improved and on Sunday managed 32 miles at over 14 mph. but I know I am still not that good at hills

Top Bottom