Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.
I'm planning to get some brake levers fitted on my bike. I assume someone already has done it before so, which size should I order?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tektro-rl72...ium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.cyclechat.net
becuase of the location that you will have to fit them (I have the cross levers as well), you will need a smaller size. going over the bar tape you shoudl be fine with the 26mm option - though they will be tight to do up initally, but you need this because they have to stay put and stay put very firmly. The larger o/s option (31.8) would mean you would need to fit them really close to the entre of the drop bars at the stem clamp and this would leave you no room for lights, trip meter etc. Its a bit of a balancing act, but easier if you are still on the original drops.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
my triban 3 is slowly morphing.

now had it 18 months and the only original parts are frame, fork and handlebars.

latest upgrade, 105 10 speed shifters/cassette.

for christmas i should be getting a shiny new canyon frame so the triban will be no more.... sad sad times

my triban 3 is slowly morphing.

now had it 18 months and the only original parts are frame, fork and handlebars.

latest upgrade, 105 10 speed shifters/cassette.

for christmas i should be getting a shiny new canyon frame so the triban will be no more.... sad sad times

yep - know that feeling. My OH asked me to name the original parts on mine which is around 15 months old. frankly I had a hard time (frame, forks, brake calipers, shifters & spacers on the headset was all I could some up with! pretty certain everything else has been replaced at least once!)

I used to ride on local old railway tracts, around reservoirs and other gravel roads in my hybrid bike. Then it was stolen and I replaced it with a Triban 3. Now I only ride on the road. I would like to ride again on those surfaces, old railway tracts etc but do not want to buy another bike.
Can I adapt Triban to ride on those surfaces? Will fitting just bit wider tyres, 28, be good enough?

as above 25c is the max there is clearance for. however if the disused railway lines are hardcore like 'mine' when they are dry or frozen solid I have found I can ride on them. at the moment it is borderline around here. too much mud in one area but ok if you don't leaves the leaf free trail for the rest of it.

I just accepted defeat and purchased a cheap (2nd hand) mountain bike (£200 for mine, £99 for my OH to add to the touring bikes and road bikes we already have :whistle:)...
perhaps you would be better looking at a touring or audux bike? just a thought - they have a tendency to take wider tyres and can come with drops or flats...

I do have a mountain bike that I bought for £100 couple of years ago. It has alu frame with front suspensions. It has massive tires. Perhaps I should put leaner tires and just ride it.

I do have a mountain bike that I bought for £100 couple of years ago. It has alu frame with front suspensions. It has massive tires. Perhaps I should put leaner tires and just ride it.
potentially - you can also get slicks or semi-slicks (which is what I have as well as full rugged tyres - spare set came with the bike) which would make roads easier but still give you some grip for the converted railway track - I also have a set of winter tyres for my mtb which allow me to get out in snow & ice (my only transport during the week is one of my bikes and I live rurally and at one end of a converted railway...)

potentially - you can also get slicks or semi-slicks (which is what I have as well as full rugged tyres - spare set came with the bike) which would make roads easier but still give you some grip for the converted railway track - I also have a set of winter tyres for my mtb which allow me to get out in snow & ice (my only transport during the week is one of my bikes and I live rurally and at one end of a converted railway...)

I assume that your suggestion is for the mountain bike?

I assume that your suggestion is for the mountain bike?
yep - slicks, semi-slicks and/or winter studded tyres - all 26" and will fit a mtb. click here for examples (other sites obviously available)
slicks http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/mtb-slick-tyres/26-559-wheel-size/
semi slick http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-double-fighter-ii-reflex-mountain-bike-tyre/
winter studded for ice http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-winter-performance-rigid-road-tyre/ (buying abroad with this tyre is cheaper)

Tom Hooper

Looking to sell my red triban 3 57cm replaced chain (kmc) rear mech and brakes (black sora) missing a plastic cover off one brifter and some miner scuffs original wheels have hardly done any miles as i changed to r500s any intrest?

Top Bottom