Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sign me up please, I have only fitted a shorter stem otherwise all standard for me. I actually like the seat and have got used to the pedals, but they will be replaced with some clipless when finances allow.
Oh and mine is red as well, what are the chances of that!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Widge

Baldy Go
Oh rats..............I thought I was the only person with a red one. :angry:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Due to my ongoing shoulder issues I am an ex Triban 3 owner.....and my youngest son is a very pleased new Triban 3 owner.
I rarely recommend Halfords for anything - but there Toolbox Red touch up paint (code 31194) is a perfect Triban 3 match.
I agree with the advice above. The wheels are not the best - but if you re-grease and adjust the cones ASAP you may save a lot of grief and my wheels were fine.

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
My T3 is still brand new. Never seen a wet road yet! However, once I have got a fair few miles under my belt I have no doubts my thoughts will move toward upgrades. What would be sensible upgrades for the T3?
Hopefully some older T3 owners may be able to shed a bit of light on what parts wear quickly or needs upgrading from standard.

I think the first upgrade on mine will most definitely be pedals. I have to say that the standard T3 pedals are crrrraaaapppp!!! Lost count the number of times I've had a real wobble on trying to get my left foot into the naf pedal clips.
I fitted full length SKS guards on too. I find that with the bars turned a wee bit I often catch the mud flap with the toe clips too!

Edwards80

Über Member
+1 :biggrin:

Mrs bought mine for me last Christmas. Almost 7500 miles later and still enjoying it :smile:

As above, the wheels lasted for a couple of thousand miles or so but I just upgraded to Mavic Aksiums rather than repair them. Definitely a good upgrade, the stock wheels are heavy but I wouldn't bother changing them until you wear yours out. Aside from the pedals, everything else is as it was.

Has taken everything I've thrown at it so far. Commuting with + without pannier rack, club runs, Audaxes, time trials, floods, 2 self induced crashes and one instance of being hit by a car. Talk about value for money :biggrin:

I've only had one "cheap bike" comment from a guy on the Mcr 100 who said "I wouldn't trust one of those for a long ride mate" - He was wearing a KOM polka dot Jersey. The group I was with thoroughly dropped him on the next "Hill". Made me lol :smile:

Widge

Baldy Go
COME ON tRIBANITES!
Ooops.. had a caps-lock crisis there............

Lets make this the No.1 interwebz Triban Owners club!?

It's cheap and cheesy...great fun.....a lot of bike for the money... a beginners GodSend and they all may start falling apart in 12 months time.

We need each other!

Nail your colours to the mast and we all ought to ask Decathlon for privilidge status after endorsing their product so magnanimously?

But then...I am completely mental. :hyper:

w

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
I'm a member of the tribe(an). Got it in September, done about 1,500 miles on it. Lost about 3 stone in weight. It's true what people say about checking the grease in the hubs. Just had to pay out for some repairs on mine, and the bicycle doctor said there wasn't nearly enough grease in there in the first place. Apart from that - loving it. It's changed my life!

Widge

Baldy Go
Hhhm...I'm a bit worried by all this talk of undergreased hubs. Mine 'seem' ok at the moment but I have never stripped and regreased a hub. My MTB has fairly serious Shimano Deore and LX hubs and have run for years with no concern. I don't have cone spanners and wouldn't know what to do with them if I had them.

Part of me reckons I should just run these wheels into the ground and buy some better ones when the time comes.
Another part of me wants to high-tail the bike down to my LBS and get them to check the hubs.
Another part of me thinks I should bite the bullet and learn how to strip'n'grease my own hubs.

On the other hand - not EVERYBODIES Triban wheels are preternaturally failing?

Tricky

w

Kies

A few hundred miles on my Triban and all seems well. Will get round to stripping thebwheels down and packing with grease at some point.
The plan is to upgrade the wheels on the good bike in the summer,and put those on the triban.
Not everyone has had wheel issues. Relax

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
May be helpful to the "Tribe" if we shared what is the correct grease to use in the hubs.
I have to confess I don't know personally. Would probably opt for copper grease. Does anyone know for definite?

Widge

Baldy Go
The only 'grease' I have ever used on a bike has been Lithium for a headset and general purpose 'spray' grease ( as used by motorcyclists) for various other grease-worthy areas (pedal bearings - suspension links etc). I too would appreciate some grease knowledge! :rolleyes:

w

Triban 3 here too- she's called Rosie!

Good few months on it now; utterly brilliant value for money! I'll be upgrading the wheelset, even if i spend £200 on new wheels, you'll struggle to find a set up for £500 better than that! Obviously I changed to clip-less pedals though..

Ches

subaqua

What’s the point
I sort of count as 11 yr old daughter has one that i bought for her . I also have the Btwin sport 1 which was its non carbon fork predecessor which retailed at only £20 less !! blooming good bikes

Triban 3 here as well (2 in this household).
Have had to make a few changes to mine, shorter stem & narrower bars with me being female, added a pannier rack for commuting and SKS mud guards. Added cross levers + new brake blocks almost immediately (I have grip issues in my left hand so needed the extra braking ability cross levers offer).
Tomorrow she gets a new chain, after somewhere near to 1,900km (since 1st Sept 2012) I have worn the chain out and there is some play in the rear wheel, so suspect the hub - someone else who need to know how to re-grease the bearings. Hopefully the cassette will be OK otherwise she will have to have a some money spent on her.

Top Bottom