Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malcermie

Triban 3 here too- she's called Rosie!

Good few months on it now; utterly brilliant value for money! I'll be upgrading the wheelset, even if i spend £200 on new wheels, you'll struggle to find a set up for £500 better than that! Obviously I changed to clip-less pedals though..

Ches
So pleased to hear of someone who's named his bike only had mine a week and not settled on a name yet:smooch:

malcermie

Triban 3 here as well (2 in this household).
Have had to make a few changes to mine, shorter stem & narrower bars with me being female, added a pannier rack for commuting and SKS mud guards. Added cross levers + new brake blocks almost immediately (I have grip issues in my left hand so needed the extra braking ability cross levers offer).
Tomorrow she gets a new chain, after somewhere near to 1,900km (since 1st Sept 2012) I have worn the chain out and there is some play in the rear wheel, so suspect the hub - someone else who need to know how to re-grease the bearings. Hopefully the cassette will be OK otherwise she will have to have a some money spent on her.
What brake blocks did you use?

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
Here's something a bit different. http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/index.cgi
Not trying to outdo this great forum but thought I'd give this a whirl for a bit of fun. Just a warm and cosy forum for "Tribespeople"
Would be nice to see if it develops. Go on sign up for a giggle.

Admin - if this contravenes forum rules please delete this post. Please don't ban me though, I love it here! :highfive:

Here's something a bit different. http://triban3owners.freeforums.net/index.cgi
Not trying to outdo this great forum but thought I'd give this a whirl for a bit of fun. Just a warm and cosy forum for "Tribespeople"
Would be nice to see if it develops. Go on sign up for a giggle.

Admin - if this contravenes forum rules please delete this post. Please don't ban me though, I love it here! :highfive:

I've signed up and posted a Thank you/hello message! See you there..

Lancj1

I got one in July 2012. It got me cycling properly. I have looked at upgrading for a "better bike" and realised that many £500 bikes are specced the same as this - it really is a bargain. Common sense tells me that an Ali Frame with carbon fork is what it is regardless of the brand name, at a macro level at least. I doubt I would notice the subtle technical differences discussed by high end makers. The obvious upgrade is wheels and tyres. That's what I'm doing in spring and I am keeping this as my road bike for good. As gears wear out etc I may upgrade them. I have never fully understood the "not worth upgrading that mate" attitude which suggests bikes are disposable.

A keeper. Might paint it yellow though ;)

JohnC60

Having a mid life crisis. Not having owned a road bike for approx 25 years suddenly felt the urge to have one again. Found this forum did some research and decided the Triban was the one. Got it mid October but with all the bad weather have only clocked up just over 200 miles to date. The only major change so far is A520 clipless pedals (the originals will find a home on my rat bike). I have purchased a pair of vittoria zaffiro tyres but hope to wear out the originals before fitting them. As for brakes I am quite happy, they are ten times better than the ones I had 25 years ago! I'm even happy with the saddle. Looking forward to hearing other peoples experiences of the bike as time goes on.

D

Deleted member 20519

I'm jazloc and... I'm a Triban addict :sad:

OK folks, well today I decided to have a look at our hubs - all 4 and was not impressed.

see here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-2251210

If you want to check yours you will need flat 15mm & flat 17mm spanners. Seems there are different grades of bearing being used. Mine have survived the mess, my OH's have not. My bike was purchased very end Aug 2012 , his was purchased very end of July 2012. I can see why some people don't want to go out in winter or rain now!

OK folks, well today I decided to have a look at our hubs - all 4 and was not impressed.

see here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/post-2251210

If you want to check yours you will need flat 15mm & flat 17mm spanners. Seems there are different grades of bearing being used. Mine have survived the mess, my OH's have not. My bike was purchased very end Aug 2012 , his was purchased very end of July 2012. I can see why some people don't want to go out in winter or rain now!

Not good! I'll be riding my current wheelset into the ground an then upgrading..

Seemingly the only downside to the T3!

Not good! I'll be riding my current wheelset into the ground an then upgrading..

Seemingly the only downside to the T3!
they will last longer if you get some grease into there and check the bearings are not rusted. Otherwise I suspect mine will have to replaced soon, despite all of the repairs, I have not been able to completely remove the knock on the rear hub on my bike - I have managed to lessen it though. My OH's bike also had a minor knock and that has now gone completely, so probably worth looking at if you don't have the cash or want to get them changed.

All i put on mine were spd pedals - yes, fell off twice while getting used to them !
Happy with saddle and general comfort.
Happy with mine - aiming to do the London-Paris in July on it :bicycle:

they will last longer if you get some grease into there and check the bearings are not rusted. Otherwise I suspect mine will have to replaced soon, despite all of the repairs, I have not been able to completely remove the knock on the rear hub on my bike - I have managed to lessen it though. My OH's bike also had a minor knock and that has now gone completely, so probably worth looking at if you don't have the cash or want to get them changed.

Thanks! I'll give mine a going over asap!

I'm pretty keen to upgrade but i'd like to get the most of these standard wheels first!

C

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Most cheap hubs are the same, Formula, Quando, Joytech ect...I regrease and set up hubs now as soon as I get the bike home. I use Weldtite TF2 Teflon grease and squirt it into the hubs with this gadget.

0002041_weldtite_tf2_grease_gun_0.jpeg

Top Bottom