What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dismantled, greased and re-assembled the rear hub of my flip-flop fixie this evening.

In truth I did nothing of the sort. I stood back while telling our youngest (13) what to do.

I had to do some stuff, because with bearings it can be about 'feel' and other such similar nonesnse.

He even enjoyed it.

I had to do it because it was noisy and gritty.

Luckily, once we'd put it all back together and got the wheel back on it was gritty and noisy. So, the complete opposite and a resounding success.

Broadside

Guru
Had a nightmare today, I removed and stripped down the rear dual pivot brake caliper and on refitting to the bridge in the seat stay forgot to put the 2mm spacer back in. Over tightened the Allen nut before i realised the spacer was missing and the stub of the caliper poked through the nut too far so I could not get the Allen key back in. Ended up rounding off the inside of the Allen nut and after lots of swearing managed to grip the Allen bolt with some mole grips to get it off. LBS came to the rescue with a 99p replacement Allen bolt so I could go ahead with my ride this evening.

An easy job that turned in to a 90 min saga... On the plus side the brake now works like new, I should have stripped it down long before now.

HovR

Über Member
The bars on the commuter had started creaking horrendously with only the slightest bit of force on them today. I examined the bars closely for cracks etc, but there was nothing to be seen, so I regreased all the stem bolts etc.

Success! It's now quiet again.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Replaced a 105 Octalink triple chainset after wrecking the LH crank on the old one. It's been a nightmare trying to find a reasonably priced LH crank arm and it proved to be cost and hassle effective to purchase a new complete chainset from Chain Reaction to get matching crank arm lengths.

Also replaced a skewer that had corroded badly in a front wheel after cleaning up the connectors on the dynahub.

potsy

Rambler
Finally got around to getting a brake cable for the Tricross's front brake this morning, fitted it just now and all seems well.
Never fitted brake cables before and it is connected to a brand new BB7 too, just need to give it a test ride and bed the pads in a bit some time next week :thumbsup:
Now have the altogether more horrible job of getting the Secteur looking like a road bike again and not the mud-infested bso it resembles currently :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New Dura Ace Chain, chain rings and Deda dogfang fitted to the best bike, and a polish with Mr Sheen !

chainset small.JPG

fettled 2 bikes and came out (amazingly) with 2 bikes..:laugh: decided to sort the hubs out on the Triban 3s. Always glad I have a patient OH - this was all gone in the dining room on the dining room table!

Got off to a good start, if lacking a touch of grease...
IMG_5087.JPG

But it was all down hill from there... other side of same wheel. yuck
IMG_5088.JPG

rear wheel of my OH's bike - not looking great...
IMG_5090.JPG

and rear wheel on my bike - 4 month & 1,900km of UK roads. - not going to be good news.
IMG_5096.JPG

Seems despite having the same bike, we have at least 4 different types of bearings and those in my bike (4 months old & 1,900km ) have faired a lot better than those in my OH's bike which is 5 months old & 1,000km. Though I am still fighting to completely elimate the knock from my rear hub - fear that it may not be as easily curable as my OH's was.

Jockey wheels also came off and were cleaned & re-greased and I fitted a new chain to mine. Despite being way passed the 1% marker, the new chain fits the cassette perfectly (according to Sheldon Brown's website), so thankfully I have escaped without needing a new cassette.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
fitted cut down piece of rubber car mat between the two 'once' ridged mating surfaces of the brooks B33 cage and finally seem to have a saddle that doesn't adjust it self every time you hit a pot hole, at least after a 10 mile ride over mixed surfaces. £12.95 saved huzzah!

ian emmerson

Deep clean and visual check of my hybrid used for commuting duties, only minor adjustments and quick indexing needed, relubed and ready to go.
More concerned as to what I am having to clean off the bike and my clothing, not oils, crud etc and can only assume its something spilt on a section if my commute by the strange smell.

Top Bottom