What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
another 30 mins spent on the rebuild of a mid 70's Sun Truwel tubed racer , cant make up my mind whether to fit a set of original full gaurds or a set of retro shorties !

chewy

Bit late, but between christmas and new year I totally striped my bike down. Cleaned EVERYTHING, touched up the paintwork and polished the frame. Regreased wheel bearings. Full set of cables.

The result: one sweet looking bike that is whisper quiet (except the panting mess riding it!) and a joy to ride once more.

Very impressed with how the bike is holding up, not bad for a Halfords 'cheapy' lol

subaqua

What’s the point
cleaned the commuter for the first time since june when i bought it. i didn't realise just how much crud would be collected under the mudguards. derailleur was stripped and cleaned too. jockey wheels run much smoother now . only ballache was replacing and readjusting the magura hydraulic rim brackes- they are a bit of a faff. need to true the wheels as there is a slight run out on both. All lubed and indexed and rides sweet. also managed to put cleats on my new mW81 winterboots . they feel great on my feet

Graham

Broke a spoke on my rear Shimano R500 on the way home yesterday so changed that over for a new one. Once I'd got the tyres and cassette of I thought I may as well regrease the hub as it sounded a bit grindy. This hasn't been done since the bike was new in 2008. I was quite surprised - the non-drive side still had very healthy looking grease in still. Drive side was horrible so gave it a good clean out and it now sounds a lot better. Runs smoother too, which bodes well for my attack on the Horseshoe Pass tomorrow, bring it on!

compo

Veteran
Fitted new tubes and tyres to my wife's Raleigh Twenty, and fitted a bell onto it that I found amongst a heap of junk in the shed.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Repaired my broken crud catcher with the spare part purchased at a reasonable price.

It was the first time I've just my workshop stand, and it was so enjoyable being able to get to both sides of the bike (and not sitting on the patio) that I also adjusted the brakes :smile:

My bike no longer sounds like I've put a clacker in the spokes!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Car fettling today. Replaced the 'new' rear anti roll bar links, one had developed play within a month. New ones on, bit of touching up of underseal here and there, callipers repainted silver (look nice again behind the alloys). Now to send the faulty links back, 12 month g'tee my butt.

HovR

Über Member
Swapped the traditional non-aero levers on my Dawes for new Cane Creek SCR5 aero levers. Really happy with the result. The cable run looks much neater and the hoods are more comfortable.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The front tube on my 'nice' bike had a slow puncture so I replaced it, I tried to fix it but can't be doing with spending forever finding an itty bitty little hole. I know there's stuck in the tyre because I also changed the tyre for a folding tyre someone kindly gave me. I 'think' I'm gradually getting the knack of fitting folding tyres but I still leave the wheel fully and pumped up for a few hours to make sure the tyre won't pop off; I think I broke the first folding tyre I tried to fit it.

Why am I telling you all this? Well then wife is upstairs trying to put our daughter down for a kip, and until I know when she's coming back downstairs I can't start breakfast.

All on my Dawes Stratos.

Both both brake calipers stripped, cleaned, rebuilt and had all rusty hardware wire brushed and greased.

Bars and stem stripped down. Bars have had 20 years of bar tape remnants cleaned off, stem has been sanded back, (it's a black finish that was fecked, presumably after years of inverted bike fettling by previous owners), prepped and is in the process of being re-painted, the first coat is drying as I type.

Chainset off next, (after my brew).

Chainset now fettled. After a thorough clean I decided to strip it completely. So I did ^_^

The rings now gleam, teh spider is shining, (kind of - old Shimano 105), the chainring bolts have all been cleaned and re-fitted with copper grease to aid future fettling, although it came apart very nicely this time, (always a sign of good maintenance by the past owner IMO).

I've also now commenced spraying the seatpost to match the stem as it was quite a sorry state, but it's now drying after paint code number 1.

I have spent the last few days having an uberfettling session on my custom-built recumbent. It came with a home-made means of attaching a backpack to the hardshell seat, and a home-made rack made from folded sheet aluminium. The rack was not fitted when I bought it and it looked a bit flimsy. I wanted to have something that was compatible with the Topeak beam racks and trunk bags I use on all my other bikes. I bought a secondhand beam rack and removed the actual sliding rack piece, bolting that to the rack. I then purchased a couple of side frames from Chainreaction and modded them to fit. I then made up some strengthening sections from aluminium profile and bolted them to the rack. It all fits nicely now, is really stable and gives me somewhere to mount a flag. I also fitted a pair of Schwalbe Kojaks, fitted my homebuilt front wheel and its 203 mm disc brake. That needed quite a lot of filing of the caliper in order to not foul various parts. Front & rear mudguards were also fitted. A few week ago I bought an Optima stem and handlebar system from a dealer in the Netherlands, so that got fitted too. I have ordered a headrest and am hoping to fit that as soon as it gets here. I have also ordered some new cable outer in a sexy yellow, and when that's fitted I shall be ready for the rides the better weather will allow me to do.

mattsr

Just finished a major clean, much needed after commuting through the last few weeks of rotten weather! Chain also de-greased and re-lubricated, and gears re-indexed 'cos they were a bit tardy on the upshift. Also replaced a few missing studs from my Marathon winters.

I do enjoy a bit of fettling. Most satisfying. :rolleyes:

Fitted two Phaarts...one to road bike, one to hybrid, after Vaselining and securely taping up (why does that sound so bad!!!). Also repaired puncture on rear wheel of road bike and came up with two things:
1. Getting the rear wheel out of a Triban 3 is a b*tch...getting it back in is nearly as bad
2.Getting a Schwalbe Lugano tyre off is a b*tch...getting it back in is nearly as bad
Blood. sweat and tyres!

Top Bottom