Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I haven't seen this thread before but I suppose this is the place to brag about this super purchase, reduced to £199.99 as it is the last of the line.

The 45cm frame fits my 8yr old almost perfectly....

upload_2014-8-4_16-3-19.png

I have checked the bike over myself and backed of the hub cones a bit (they were too tight) and also loosened the headset a bit as that was binding too.

Now ready for action :thumbsup:

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
.... and also loosened the headset a bit as that was binding too...

lucky lad - my Dad said ''get a paper round''..!...^_^

what are the symptoms of a binding headset [other than wont fall easily from side to side,]
out this afternoon and the steering was weird - slightest correction send the bike wildly from side to side

thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
lucky lad - my Dad said ''get a paper round''..!...^_^

what are the symptoms of a binding headset [other than wont fall easily from side to side,]
out this afternoon and the steering was weird - slightest correction send the bike wildly from side to side

thanks
It was just stiff. Once the tension was relieved it turned easily from side to side but still showed no play when applying the front brakes and rocking back and forth. If left too tight it can cause pitted bearing races and this tends to cause the twitchy handling you describe as the steering wants to fall into the 'notches' at set angles rather than flowing smoothly as it should. I did experience this on my hybrid due to water ingress but it was slight and I got away with replacing the caged bearings with loose bearings so the notches don't line up anymore.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
but still showed no play when applying the front brakes and rocking back and forth.
i've slackened mine so much that this happens

... the steering wants to fall into the 'notches' at set angles
yes that's logical

.... I got away with replacing the caged bearings with loose bearings so the notches don't line up anymore.
thanks for the info/help

- john

Now with the new Shimano r501 wheels and Rubino 23mm tyres, here in Audax mode. Brooks B17 Std, most comfortable saddle I've owned. I added a few layers of wider inner tube, duct taped near hoods, for shock absorbency - seemed to work quite well. Crudcatcher RR II mudguards still going strong, no problems so far. Ortlieb Classic saddlebag, a good size and weighs about 330g - securely attaches to Brooks using toestraps.

14683594327_03db34b192_b.jpg P1010647 by ao, on Flickr

Thanks to my recently-acquired Triban 3 (and a visit to Decathlon and the LBS for a new helmet, shirt, gloves, water bottle, SPDs, shoes - who am I kidding, you guys know how n+1 really works, don't you!? :laugh:) today, at the age of 57, I have just had my first clipless ride ever! :dance:

Things I noticed:
1) I didn't fall off (maybe the hour of clipping in and out while the bike sat statically in the kitchen was a good idea after all then?). :thumbsup: Junctions, hills and traffic queues needed extra planning on the approach and depart, but otherwise, it was fine.
2) The Triban 3, just like me, likes hills. :becool:
3) Climbing out of the saddle feels really weird the first few times you do it clipless. It's like your legs are part of the bike now and your upper body has to do rather more work maintaining the balance as you progress.:eek:
4) I smiled. A lot. :biggrin:

Thanks to my recently-acquired Triban 3 (and a visit to Decathlon and the LBS for a new helmet, shirt, gloves, water bottle, SPDs, shoes - who am I kidding, you guys know how n+1 really works, don't you!? :laugh:) today, at the age of 57, I have just had my first clipless ride ever! :dance:

Things I noticed:
1) I didn't fall off (maybe the hour of clipping in and out while the bike sat statically in the kitchen was a good idea after all then?). :thumbsup: Junctions, hills and traffic queues needed extra planning on the approach and depart, but otherwise, it was fine.
2) The Triban 3, just like me, likes hills. :becool:
3) Climbing out of the saddle feels really weird the first few times you do it clipless. It's like your legs are part of the bike now and your upper body has to do rather more work maintaining the balance as you progress.:eek:
4) I smiled. A lot. :biggrin:

I bought my first SPD pedals for my T3. I've only really had one comedy moment, and that was not long after, I was trying to sort out a bike computer and forgot I was clipped in. Cue me toppling onto the grass verge, then getting up and seeing who may have been watching. ^_^

I bought my first SPD pedals for my T3. I've only really had one comedy moment, and that was not long after, I was trying to sort out a bike computer and forgot I was clipped in. Cue me toppling onto the grass verge, then getting up and seeing who may have been watching. ^_^

At least it was grass!

Yeah - bike computers are great but they can be a distraction. I picked up one from Aldi the other day and still haven't got around to fitting it to the Triban. Thinking of going down the Garmin route at some point. Guess that will give me even more to look at (but carefully!).

Steady

Über Member
34 miles in the sunshine yesterday morning with a few hills thrown in - the furthest I've ever cycled without a rest break. Getting to know the bike and how it performs is great fun. :becool:

Only wish it was sunshine today. I don't do rain!

I need to get a thirty miler done. My time is limiting me to twenty-twenty five territory at the moment.

nirurin

Regular
Hey guys, I was recommended to ask my question here, as you guys are apprently experts on the Triban range of bikes :P

I'm currently considering (as an exercise bike, not really for commuting) getting either:

Carrera Subway 2015 = £299
Triban 300 = £279
Triban 5 = £329

With a proposed budget of £300. This was all in the "what bike to buy" thread I have made in the right forum :smile: haha.

However, a question came up - Its important that I am able to put mudguards on the bike I choose, and the people who helped me were unsure if guards could fit on the Triban bikes. So... does anyone have experience with these?

I'm also considering the 500se, though that is £349 so a little more expensive. If anyone knows ho much (if any) advantage the 500se would have over the standard 5, and the 300, then I'd appreciate any advice :smile:

Otherwise, just letting me know which of these bikes can fit mudguards, without any difficulty with fitting, it would be very helpful!

Steady

Über Member
Hey guys, I was recommended to ask my question here, as you guys are apprently experts on the Triban range of bikes :P

I'm currently considering (as an exercise bike, not really for commuting) getting either:

Carrera Subway 2015 = £299
Triban 300 = £279
Triban 5 = £329

With a proposed budget of £300. This was all in the "what bike to buy" thread I have made in the right forum :smile: haha.

However, a question came up - Its important that I am able to put mudguards on the bike I choose, and the people who helped me were unsure if guards could fit on the Triban bikes. So... does anyone have experience with these?

I'm also considering the 500se, though that is £349 so a little more expensive. If anyone knows ho much (if any) advantage the 500se would have over the standard 5, and the 300, then I'd appreciate any advice :smile:

Otherwise, just letting me know which of these bikes can fit mudguards, without any difficulty with fitting, it would be very helpful!

I was under the impression that the only Triban bikes that were hard to fit mudguards on were the ones below 51cm that come with 650c wheels, even then there's a informative blog post somewhere that a person had managed to do it.

Top Bottom