Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fraid another T3 in red has been retired as well. She leaves tomorrow to get me 25% of her RRP back off the new bike. She did well for the 6,000 miles or so I had her (around 18 months) but the forks have had a helping hand in dying courtesy of my OH and with a variety of other parts needing replacing before summer was out (like all of the transmission & rear derailleur) plus a problem with one of the brake bosses it was time for a new bike. I did consider the Triban 5, but in the end went for a women's specific bike - better sizing for me (52cm and 700c wheelset plus massive clearances for mudguards!). So I will have to gracefully bow out of the club - though the household still has 1 red T3 left, my OH's!

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi SatNav......

Read through your epic battles with the brake and fork!
While I find it difficult to work out why you have had such a frazzle with them...I agree.....potential cracking around a carbon fork is not a scenario I would entertain. Certainly...the fork 'could' be replaced by one from 'ExoTic' or similar.......but hey!.....what a great excuse for a new blingmatic bik?

I know you've had a good moneys-worth out of the good old T3 and I too have seen pictures of your lane!

And you got got a trade-in and a spare wheel set?

Win.

Good luck with the new one.....keep us informed:thumbsup:

Best,

w

(still has T3 running exquisitely.............so no way I can justify upgrading to the Reynolds Steel + Campagnolo beauty I reckon Ribble could build me for less than a grand! :rolleyes:

Fraid another T3 in red has been retired as well. She leaves tomorrow to get me 25% of her RRP back off the new bike. She did well for the 6,000 miles or so I had her (around 18 months) but the forks have had a helping hand in dying courtesy of my OH and with a variety of other parts needing replacing before summer was out (like all of the transmission & rear derailleur) plus a problem with one of the brake bosses it was time for a new bike. I did consider the Triban 5, but in the end went for a women's specific bike - better sizing for me (52cm and 700c wheelset plus massive clearances for mudguards!). So I will have to gracefully bow out of the club - though the household still has 1 red T3 left, my OH's!

Hope you really enjoy the new bike, for now I'll be massively jealous of your mudguard clearance. :smile:

dhd.evans

Veteran
I was getting jealous of all the sexy pics.

- Fulcrum 7's w/ Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evo
- Koolstop Dura Ace pads
- Bontrager Affinity saddle
- Sora crankset
- Tiagra bottom bracket
- Shimano HG50 cassette
- Shimano HG70 chain
- 105 rear mech
- Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport
- Deda red bar tape (for added FAST)
- Profile design Split Second AL tri-bars ('coz ZOOM ZOOM I'M A RACING BIKE!)

Next purchase: New brakes, silly carbon forks.

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
I was getting jealous of all the sexy pics.

- Fulcrum 7's w/ Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evo
- Koolstop Dura Ace pads
- Bontrager Affinity saddle
- Sora crankset
- Tiagra bottom bracket
- Shimano HG50 cassette
- Shimano HG70 chain
- 105 rear mech
- Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport
- Deda red bar tape (for added FAST)
- Profile design Split Second AL tri-bars ('coz ZOOM ZOOM I'M A RACING BIKE!)

Next purchase: New brakes, silly carbon forks.

View attachment 42999

View attachment 43000

View attachment 43001
View attachment 43002

So like most of us, you took a £300 bike and made it a £600 bike!

When I stripped mine I think I added her up to nearly £900 lol

Hope you really enjoy the new bike, for now I'll be massively jealous of your mudguard clearance. :smile:
Enjoying the new bike enormously... Just repeated a route I did last weekend on the T3 and promptly got 49 cups on strava! :wacko: 2nd ride on the new bike and a +100km ride, so I think the new bike is better suited to me - feel confident enough to use the drops which I never did on the T3.... still I got 25% back on her RRP and kept my upgraded wheels! Can't complain with that given the distance I had covered on her. I did give serious consideration to getting a T5 but read somewhere that the T500 is due out soon and will have an upgraded brake set from the T5 and only cost £20 more... I have to say I am finding the compact 10 speed easier than the triple 8 speed... don't get that guilty feeling when sitting on the inner chainring anymore!:laugh:

Paul Rich

Regular
Has anyone tried converting the Triban to a double chainset with better gears? Although I don't have one myself I've bought one for my 11 year old duaghter as well as recommending it to a couple of friends as well. The main issues I've seen with the bike are that the levers are really far off the bars which means if you have small hands/fingersAny they're difficult to reach. In fact when I took my daughter out for her first run she couldn't even reach the levers - I think I'm going to put Tektro in-line levers on it for her. The other thing is that - and this is on all three bikes - there seem to be issues with the gears engaging smoothly. It's especially the case on the front - I know it's a Sora mech - but the rear one too seems fickle. This get's me back to the initial point that I'm not too keen on using the triple chainset and think swapping it out for a new drivetrain would improve performance and create less problems.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Has anyone tried converting the Triban to a double chainset with better gears? Although I don't have one myself I've bought one for my 11 year old duaghter as well as recommending it to a couple of friends as well. The main issues I've seen with the bike are that the levers are really far off the bars which means if you have small hands/fingersAny they're difficult to reach. In fact when I took my daughter out for her first run she couldn't even reach the levers - I think I'm going to put Tektro in-line levers on it for her. The other thing is that - and this is on all three bikes - there seem to be issues with the gears engaging smoothly. It's especially the case on the front - I know it's a Sora mech - but the rear one too seems fickle. This get's me back to the initial point that I'm not too keen on using the triple chainset and think swapping it out for a new drivetrain would improve performance and create less problems.
Any ideas?

Thanks
can't see why you couldn't but there would be a lot of work and ££'s involved. New sti levers, potentially a new front derailleur as well, not to mention the new compact chainset and then you would be left with a much reduced gear ratio so if you live in the flatlands not a problem, but any hills would be a nightmare

Have you put the shims in (came with the DVD) to bring the levers closer to the bars? The ones that come with the DVD are 2 degree and 4 degree ones... I needed the 4 degree one, but it is possible to purchase some 8 degree ones as well.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...onid=f6963961d3ed1daa5404094c0099107823a94d64
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-...onid=f6963961d3ed1daa5404094c0099107823a94d64
(both would be needed because one link is to left hand, the other right hand...)

I also had to fit cross levers to both my old T3 and my replacement bike to assist with braking and they will help your daughter no end.

Arran Critchlow

I am so astounded by the value for money on this bike. I am into 1700 miles, with just a tyre change (and several tubes). The only catastrophic breakage was my rear free wheel, 2/3 pawls snapped right off out of nowhere. That's where Decathlon's customer service comes in. I took my bike in, they didn't only service it for free, they changed my hub, tubes and 2 spokes free of charge (apparently under 2 year warranty). I would urge anybody to buy a Triban 3 for the value.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi Nicola...welcome to the tribe!

The sky is the limit as far as tyres are concerned..........but if you want my 10 cents on worthwhile cost effective upgrades I'll give it my best own experience type shot. (Everybody has their own faves when it comes to tyres!)

what you're (probabably) looking for is a nice lightish, cheapish, puncture resistance-ish upgrade. I found several options for round about £20-25 pounds a pair that were pukka brands-folding (lighter weight) and had a good tpi figure making them supple and comfortable. I changed my stock tyres (those Decathlon ones are a bit gruesome) for a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros which have, and continue to do well. Light, responsive and no p's so far (1500 miles). . I picked up a pair of Conti Ultra sport folders (with tubes!) for just 20 quid to hold in reserve from Planet X. Also I notice lots of eBay and other outlets offering Michelin Lithion 2's (folders again..worth going for over rigid wire beads)for about the same money. Any of these should get your juices flowing. You can easily get the latter in size 25mm also...which apparently roll as well and have a an element of comfort to them and are generally flavour of the month size wise. You may not not be able to tell much different...and I've personally never tried.

HTH

welcome again

w
+1 on all those tyres mentioned.

Also maybe try Schwalbe Durano, I got a set free as an offer on a cycling mag subscription, generally regarded as the best all year round tyre, light weight, roll fast & grippy.

Phred1812

So like most of us, you took a £300 bike and made it a £600 bike!

When I stripped mine I think I added her up to nearly £900 lol

I haven't been on this forum for a while so its interesting to catch up.

The cost of my red T3 bought January 2013 so far is £882 with upgrades. I guess I could have bought a low end carbon bike for that sort of money but it wouldn't have been so satifying and I learnt a lot in the process.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I haven't been on this forum for a while so its interesting to catch up.

The cost of my red T3 bought January 2013 so far is £882 with upgrades. I guess I could have bought a low end carbon bike for that sort of money but it wouldn't have been so satifying and I learnt a lot in the process.

This, i think, is the Triban experience summed up. The base model is great, but upgrading it makes it your own bike and it's simply a helluva lot of fun to do!

Top Bottom