Triban 3 Owners Club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi Nicola...welcome to the tribe!

The sky is the limit as far as tyres are concerned..........but if you want my 10 cents on worthwhile cost effective upgrades I'll give it my best own experience type shot. (Everybody has their own faves when it comes to tyres!)

what you're (probabably) looking for is a nice lightish, cheapish, puncture resistance-ish upgrade. I found several options for round about £20-25 pounds a pair that were pukka brands-folding (lighter weight) and had a good tpi figure making them supple and comfortable. I changed my stock tyres (those Decathlon ones are a bit gruesome) for a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros which have, and continue to do well. Light, responsive and no p's so far (1500 miles). . I picked up a pair of Conti Ultra sport folders (with tubes!) for just 20 quid to hold in reserve from Planet X. Also I notice lots of eBay and other outlets offering Michelin Lithion 2's (folders again..worth going for over rigid wire beads)for about the same money. Any of these should get your juices flowing. You can easily get the latter in size 25mm also...which apparently roll as well and have a an element of comfort to them and are generally flavour of the month size wise. You may not not be able to tell much different...and I've personally never tried.

HTH

welcome again

w

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
It's a sad day, I may have to hand in my membership.

Just bought a canyon so my t3 will be broken up as I'll never ride her again.

Sad sad day....
always donate her to me? i am looking for a road bike!
Cheers Ed

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
always donate her to me? i am looking for a road bike!
Cheers Ed
the bikes been entriely upgraded so i will be stripping it completely.... the frame will be available soonish and is a 63cm so depends how big you are really

Hi folks I've got the white triban 3 and I really love it. I have tried to read as much of this thread as possible but it is rather long. Anyway I want to upgrade my tyres, can someone please give me nice advice on what to buy, the size and where I can get them, I'm a newbie and pretty clueless about bikes. Thanks for your help in advance. Ps I'm building up to a long cycle challenge so that's why I need decent tyres.

Hi Nicola. Both mine and my husband's T3 have Schwalbe Durano Pluses on them. they are slightly heavier and therefore slightly slower than summer tyres but are fantastic for grip in all weather (being a winter tyre) - we both commute and ride in all seasons, so grip in bad weather is essential for us - ice means at least one of us has to cycle in it and it is usually me. They are also the p fairy resistant... not proof, nothing is totally fairy proof (well those solid rubber tyres I had as a kid on my first bike would have been...), but I have only had 1 fairy visit in 15 months of riding and I ride a lot, I think around +6,000km in that time despite me spending 6 months off the bike last summer through illness....

Do watch for the clearances with 700x25c tyres on your brakes though especially if you are considering mudguards (or riding with a club who will want you to have mudguards at certain times of year) because the clearance on our bikes (red model) is minimal and I get a huge build up of mud from country lanes (I live rurally which does not help!) and it is seriously annoying have a lump of mud instead of a set of brakes! I will be dropping back to 700x23c tyres when my current set wear out (they are doing rather well on mileage so this could take some time! :smile: )

young Ed

Veteran
the bikes been entriely upgraded so i will be stripping it completely.... the frame will be available soonish and is a 63cm so depends how big you are really
i need 58ish cm unfortunately :sad: surprising you can get one in 63cm!
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
postage in a bike box would be only option
Cheers Ed

Speedball

Had a quick browse on the thread but couldn't see the solution anyway.

I need to raise the handlebar height on my wife's red T3 but can't seem to do it. Am I missing something or do I need to purchase a longer stem?

Had a quick browse on the thread but couldn't see the solution anyway.

I need to raise the handlebar height on my wife's red T3 but can't seem to do it. Am I missing something or do I need to purchase a longer stem?

You could flip the stem over which will raise it a bit, if that isn't high enough then getting a high rise stem (45"degrees or so) will raise it a fair way.

Hey all. My btwin tyres are on their last legs, and thought I could treat myself to some new tyres and wheels. Sorry I know this has probably been discussed at length, but are the Shimano R501 an OK choice for a good value wheel? And what decent 23mm tyres are people getting these days? Any deals?

Widge

Baldy Go
Hi andy.........

Shimano 501 a perfectly reasonable upgrade for Triban and not too spendy. I have them. They spin better, the bearings are a bit more trust-worthy than the original ones have proved to be for many, they are available cheaply if you shop around......and are generally better-built all-round IMO.......other than that -the sky's the limit! I like mine. A lot. (They 'look' good too)

I have Vittoria Rubino Pro folders on them. Not a moments trouble. YMMV.

w

Hi andy.........

Shimano 501 a perfectly reasonable upgrade for Triban and not too spendy. I have them. They spin better, the bearings are a bit more trust-worthy than the original ones have proved to be for many, they are available cheaply if you shop around......and are generally better-built all-round IMO.......other than that -the sky's the limit! I like mine. A lot. (They 'look' good too)

I have Vittoria Rubino Pro folders on them. Not a moments trouble. YMMV.

w

Thanks for that.

Top Bottom