Triban 520: Update :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hello again!

So I finally got my new road bike all working and setup with the new 11-32 cassette and the 30/39/50 chainring. My previous record on the route I did today was 10.6mph on the MTB (14kg with 4kg or so of luggage) and today I did the same route on the Triban carrying around 4.5kg of luggage plus water so around 15kg total. I managed to average 12.8mph over the same route so around a 20% gain and my power output was a touch less than that on the MTB as I have a cold and hadn't ridden in a week I was still getting used to clipped pedals and riding position plus learning what gears to be in as the ratios are massively different. I didn't notice a huge difference until I got to the main roads in the town I was going to and I was hitting 17mph on the flat without any real effort, absolutely great bike :smile: My back is a bit sore from the new position so I might take up some yoga just to improve my flexibility.

Thank you all for the advice you've given me with purchasing this bike and the gearing e.t.c, it's massively appreciated and I felt comfortable today because of it :smile:

Edit: I was pushing out 7.2W/kg on the last hill (13% for 0.7 miles) after 30 miles of riding because I had so much more confidence in the bike and the clips really helped put that power on the road :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was pushing out 7.2W/kg on the last hill
What sort of power meter are you using?

OP
OP
D

dude7691

What sort of power meter are you using?
No power meters just this calculator :smile: Was doing about 7mph up that hill and generating around 383W and I only weigh 51.7kg :smile: It doesn't take into account the asphalt I cycle on is stupidly worn either the roads are just so rough round here. I should mention the total average gradient of that hill is 13.4% but the highest part is 18% possibly a bit more, and was generating 7.2W/kg on those parts, and 5.8W/kg overall on that section :smile: Averaged 2.6W/kg for the 2.5 hour ride based on this:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Was doing about 7mph up that hill and generating around 383W and I only weigh 51.7kg :smile: . . . the total average gradient of that hill is 13.4% but the highest part is 18% possibly a bit more, and was generating 7.2W/kg on those parts, and 5.8W/kg overall on that section
Data error(s); but great to get out and cycle. Just don't waste your time on power guesstimates.
"How many watts do pro cyclists average?
"An average pro in the Tour peloton will produce about 6.15 W/kg [sustained when needed]. Assuming a weight of 70 kg, the average rider will be able to maintain a power output of 163.8 watts for the 20 minute effort while the pro will maintain 429.8 watts."

inuke

Regular
i got the triban 540
no one EVER does better than me
I race on strava app, every day Im top 3 in all 41 segments I cycle.
No one every passes me EVER, my average speed is 22mph without sweating.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

good that you are enjoying the bike and your riding but if those numbers are correct do you have dave brailsfords telephone number :okay:
Haha I wish ;) I do much longer rides than 20 minutes so for 2.5 hours without stopping at all (I eat and drink as I go) so roughly 135-140W at 51.7kg is alright I suppose :smile: I need to get my weight up is the next thing. What I've determined is that weight really isn't everything when cycling as once you're up to speed it's just about maintaining it, so I reckon another 10kg of muscle on my legs would be really beneficial to me to get up to 180-200W consistently.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

i got the triban 540
no one EVER does better than me
I race on strava app, every day Im top 3 in all 41 segments I cycle.
No one every passes me EVER, my average speed is 22mph without sweating.
The 540 is a lush bike :biggrin: Was considering getting it but my budget can only stretch so far especially for a first road bike :biggrin: That's goals right there haha

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Data error(s); but great to get out and cycle. Just don't waste your time on power guesstimates.
"How many watts do pro cyclists average?
"An average pro in the Tour peloton will produce about 6.15 W/kg [sustained when needed]. Assuming a weight of 70 kg, the average rider will be able to maintain a power output of 163.8 watts for the 20 minute effort while the pro will maintain 429.8 watts."
Hi :smile: Yeah I'm almost 20kg lighter than that average though so if I packed on another 19kg of muscle I reckon I could do between 180 and 200 watts at the moment, but my fitness will keep on getting better I suppose :smile: That's the thing though I can only sustain that 5-7W/kg for 5 minutes and that's really pushing it, I wouldn't do that much if it wasn't the last section of my ride (sprinting in effect).

My average for this ride was only 2.5W/kg according to that which is probably above average but nothing special really, and it didn't take into account the roughness of the asphalt I have to cycle on, plus traffic as well I have to stop and start for which is a pain haha.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Well done Dude. I knew you'd like the Triban.

If the new position is really worrying you get a higher stem.
Thank you! Yeah it's awesome, your recommendation :biggrin:

I have considered it, I think the position is okay though I just need to get used to it but if after a few weeks it's still doing my back in I'll get a longer one, but felt alright for the most part my MTB is no gem either haha it's probably me rather than the bike.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

If you want to measure your watts then buy a power meter.

Guessing is extremely likely to be inaccurate.
I know nothing comes close to having a real power meter, there's too many real world variances and I might invest in one down the line. Just a good reference point for me to see my improvements :smile:

Top Bottom