Trike advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hi,

My daughter has a genetic condition called Sotos Syndrome. Among the many symptoms associated with it are problems with coordination and balance. She enjoys cycling, but trying to get her to ride a conventional bike is tricky, even with stabilizers.

We took her to Dulwich Park a while back, put her on a Pashley Robin, and she was away. However, one of the other of the many symptoms of the condition is excessive growth (she's five foot tall at seven years old). This means she's outgrown the Robin and is now in Tri-1 territory.

They're a bit pricey, though, and ideally I'd like something that folds. I was looking at Jorvik's folding trikes online; any experiences with them?

Thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I can't speak about Jorvik trikes or 'folders' but my Kentex has been very solid and reliable, the only niggle with it was the 'chopper' style handlebars but they were easy to change.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I can't speak about Jorvik trikes or 'folders' but my Kentex has been very solid and reliable, the only niggle with it was the 'chopper' style handlebars but they were easy to change.
They look pretty similar to the Jorviks, don't seem to be able to locate any stockists though...?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They look pretty similar to the Jorviks, don't seem to be able to locate any stockists though...?

I've had a look and there doesn't seem to be any online now, very strange. I'll see if I can find out where I got mine from, it was someone is Suffolk I seem to remember but I didn't add the webpage to my favourites plus I rang them up to order it after finding the trike on t'internet and paid for it that way (I'd rather speak to someone after researching on-line than purchase on-line without checking they had a physical address/contact)

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I seem to remember it was a thread started by mrpaul but it doesn't seem to show in a search , I think @mickle recommends they are avoided

Yes i came across that thread when i was searching for trike information myself last month. Here is some mention of it https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-got-the-jorvik-24inch-tricycle.205283/#post-4523489 Although i can't seem to find the original thread going through the chaps issues in detail.

Never dealt with Jorvik personally but it seems if you do get into difficulty, this persons experience seems to suggest they could be difficult. Their google/facebook reviews all mostly point to positive experiences though, but it's hard to verify if they're genuine.

Never easy buying long distance as often it is a case of you pays your money, you takes your chances. One persons bad experience is worth 10 positives in my book...

I fell out with them big time when I called out the lies and untruths on their website. I really hate companies which sell poor quality products, particularly when their customers are elderly and/or disabled. The shitness of their product is only exceeded by their appalling aftersales.

OP, buy a Tri-1. They can't be beat.

Tilley

Über Member
I would suggest that you look at a recumbent trike such as an ICE Adventure. Natalie wilson who suffers from EDS cycled 5000 miles around the UK coast. A number of disabled servicemen also ride recumbent trikes.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

I would suggest that you look at a recumbent trike such as an ICE Adventure. Natalie wilson who suffers from EDS cycled 5000 miles around the UK coast. A number of disabled servicemen also ride recumbent trikes.
Thanks, but as above, I managed to get a Tri-1, second hand but decent condition, and she's very happy with it. ^_^

Top Bottom