Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jimboalee said:
This isnt jimbo, it's his son sat infront of his PC ( Apple rules ).

he's gone to check the dinner.

This forum is PANTS.

As if.

GrasB

Veteran
Just had a thought, Rolhoff with a 32/39/53 triple 13t sprocket & 700x28c tyres delivers 18.5-160" gearing. So now we have MacB's desire for a more bail-out gears than you should ever need & Jimbo's desire for big gears that he can push at 40ppm.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrasB said:
Just had a thought, Rolhoff with a 32/39/53 triple 13t sprocket & 700x28c tyres delivers 18.5-160" gearing. So now we have MacB's desire for a more bail-out gears than you should ever need & Jimbo's desire for big gears that he can push at 40ppm.

Sorry mate, that's sacrilege, you can't mess up the beautiful lines of a Rohloff with multiple chainrings, I'm not going to sleep properly now you've put that image in my head.

By the way it's more bail out gears than YOU would ever need, for the rest of us mere mortals............................

GrasB

Veteran
MacB said:
Sorry mate, that's sacrilege, you can't mess up the beautiful lines of a Rohloff with multiple chainrings, I'm not going to sleep properly now you've put that image in my head.
Oh yes you can & I will :biggrin: :laugh:

By the way it's more bail out gears than YOU would ever need, for the rest of us mere mortals............................
With all due respect, 50ppm on an 18.5" gear is sub-3mph speed... imho if you need a gear that's lower than you've got serious problems as I doubt you'd be able to get off & push! :ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jimboalee said:
No more gearing, power, calories, windchill, physiology... blah blah, woof woof....

Is that a promise?

r0bbti

steve52, can you tell me why?
I am just about to buy a new road bike and had pretty well decided on a specialized roubaix with a compact 34/54 chainring and 12/27 cassette. that gives me way more gears than my current 42/52 and 12/24 set-up.
I don't really understand this gearing in inches thing - in laymans terms, roughly how many more "easier" gears would I get on an average triple than a compact (as above)?

GrasB

Veteran
34/54, you mean 34/50 right?

The difference between a compact & double in gears is dependent on the cassette, in ratio drop it will always be around the 15% mark. With a 12-27 cassette you gain 1 gear, for a typical 11-21 through to 12-25 you'll gain 2 gears apart from the rather rare 12-21 where you'll gain 3 gears.

Gearing inches are a good thing to get your head around, they let you compare gear ratios removing the problems of changing wheel sizes etc.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacB said:
what, like a Rohloff makes it look even better?

serious question... are Rohloff's really as good as some make out? A real serious competitor to derailer gears or a draggy high maintenance expensive failure prone box of garbage.

cos I'm might seriously think about a rohloff equipped mtb becuase I am sick of rear mechs getting full of crap and along with front mechs not shifting properly.

wafflycat

Didn't Mark Beaumont, the guy who did the record-breaking cycle around the world have a Rohloff hub on his steed?

Just checked - indeed it was so.

He had to resort to unplanned maintenance of said hub on several occasions IIRC from the TV progs.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
wafflycat said:
Didn't Mark Beaumont, the guy who did the record-breaking cycle around the world have a Rohloff hub on his steed?

Just checked - indeed it was so.

He had to resort to unplanned maintenance of said hub on several occasions IIRC from the TV progs.

Interesting. unplanned maintenance, sometimes with a birmingham spanner or similar, is not entirely unheard of with derailer equiped mtb's.....

Top Bottom