Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Bloke

jimboalee said:
Dublin.jpg

Here's the route I rode the day before the TdF in '98.

I was on my old 22.5lb Pug with a 38 x 23 lowest. I had to use it 'cus a group of lads from Essex who I rode with were totally shagged and I wasn't going to leave them.

So you've go plenty of hills.

Wish I could get to some hills like that in half an hour. Birmingham and the West Midlands are as flat as a pancake.

That's my back yard! :girl: -I've been lazy over christmas but generally I'm up and down those hills three times a week, on a compact. And perfectly manageable (once I'm fit). I just like the idea of the triple and I think I'm gonna give it a shot. - It's not like I need 10 gears that are lower than my compact first gear, but two or three would be great. - I can still choose to climb in the equivalent of my current first gear, but I'll have the option on shorter sharper sections to climb at a higher cadence.

jimboalee

bhoyjim said:
That must be where i'm going wrong Jimbo, i have none of the above combo's on my road bike (30,42,52) (12-25) so that explains why i'm crap going up hills.

Are you a total dimwit?

Your bike has a 30 ring and 21 sprocket which is 38". You should fly up a 10%.

GrasB

Veteran
I think we've missed something, if you really want a wide gear range you can't do much better than a Rolhoff with a 'classical double' 39/53... with 700x23c tyres & a 16t rear sprocket that's 18 to 128 inches. You can go for a 'cross 38/46 w/17.5"-111" or 39/54 w/18"-130" both of which give you a slightly more even ratio set but are a little harder to come by cheaply. Go to the hills & spin because 18" = 5.3mph @ 100rpm

jimboalee

I have found that on the same hill, in the same gear, I can ride faster if I stand up and 'Honk'.

I also find it is difficult to honk at 100 rpm, so I don't use gears that make me spin at over 80 rpm.

For 5.3 mph, I would use a higher gear and alternate between sitting and honking. Speeding up when honking and slowing when sitting.

I also found that saddle soreness starts earlier after I have ridden up a hill at 100 rpm, so I don't do it.

To these ends, the 32" lowest on my triple will get me up a 16% at 40 rpm.

5.3 mph at 100 rpm would be a 22 ring to 33 sprocket; and be applicable to a 12% hill.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
FFS, jimbo, does it really matter?
Does anyone actually give a monkeys precisely how much power you need to get up a 1:12 at 5.3 mph with a Rolhoff?
The OP asked about a triple on a road bike...:laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
I have found that on the same hill, in the same gear, I can ride faster if I stand up and 'Honk'.

I also find it is difficult to honk at 100 rpm, so I don't use gears that make me spin at over 80 rpm.

For 5.3 mph, I would use a higher gear and alternate between sitting and honking. Speeding up when honking and slowing when sitting.

I also found that saddle soreness starts earlier after I have ridden up a hill at 100 rpm, so I don't do it.

To these ends, the 32" lowest on my triple will get me up a 16% at 40 rpm.

5.3 mph at 100 rpm would be a 22 ring to 33 sprocket; and be applicable to a 12% hill.
blah blah woof woof... Personally I've consistently found I can climb faster for longer spinning than honking & when climbing fatigue sets in I don't drop nearly as much speed. So thing is jimbo it gives you far more options than a cassette/chainring combination. There's nothing stopping you from honking up a hill using a 32" gear & there's nothing stopping me spinning up at 80-100ppm which is what works for me.

jimboalee

TheDoctor said:
FFS, jimbo, does it really matter?
Does anyone actually give a monkeys precisely how much power you need to get up a 1:12 at 5.3 mph with a Rolhoff?
The OP asked about a triple on a road bike...:biggrin:

Up to now, every reader on this forum has had my help ( some of the brighter sparks might even understand it ) for FREE.

That stops now.

No more gearing, power, calories, windchill, physiology... blah blah, woof woof....

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
jimboalee said:
Up to now, every reader on this forum has had my help ( some of the brighter sparks might even understand it ) for FREE.

That stops now.

No more gearing, power, calories, windchill, physiology... blah blah, woof woof....

How about a 11-34 with a compact 26/42 Jim? ultimate touring/social option, or nonsense?

jimboalee

MacB said:
How about a 11-34 with a compact 26/42 Jim? ultimate touring/social option, or nonsense?

Sorry McB, you won't catch me out that soon...:biggrin:

TheDoctor seems to think he's the spokesman for the whole membership.

If there is anyone interested, PM me.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ohhh, get her!!
*gets handbag*

EDIT - No Jim, I just happen to disagree with you.
It's not a personal attack, however much you might try to spin it as one.
I'm not arrogant enough to think I have all the answers.

jimboalee

TheDoctor said:
Ohhh, get her!!
*gets handbag*

EDIT - No Jim, I just happen to disagree with you.
It's not a personal attack, however much you might try to spin it as one.
I'm not arrogant enough to think I have all the answers.

What do you disagree with?

Top Bottom