Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrRidley

jimboalee said:
Are you a total dimwit?

Your bike has a 30 ring and 21 sprocket which is 38". You should fly up a 10%.

Have you factored in wind conditions, dodgy knees etc, maybe if we were all smart arses like you there would be no need for forums like this.

Signed

Dimwit

Greenbank

Über Member
Looks like some people have forgotten the motto of this place.

Or they've just forgotten to take their pills this morning.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Lighten up folks, Jimbo brings the magic for the dedicated to work things out:biggrin: Some of the more uncouth, like me, may just say you've got 3 options:-

1. you're serious, or fit enough, or will be fit enough, that big road gears make sense.
2. you're never going to use those big gears but status means you want them, you wouldn't be seen dead with a compact or a triple.
3. you don't give a stuff about the status you just want gears that'll work with you. So you gear a bike from 20 to 100, or less, inches and crack on.

Option 2 will see rarely or never used gears at the top, option 3 may see rarely or never used gears at the bottom. I know which one makes more sense:evil:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have no objection to Jimbo posting his smoke and mirrors codswallop but he should try not to get riled when others disagree with him; it borders on the arrogant.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
And, triples make your rear derailleur look stoopid. Which should be enough reason for anybody.

sorry Mickle but, aesthetically, a derailelr looks pretty stupid any way you cut it:biggrin:

Top Bottom