Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well, if you have lights on your car, and you're using them, and you've avoided hitting anyone as a result of using them and your attentive driving, I'm not quite sure what the issue is.
I just think that one day i won't see a dark clothes pedestrian,even when i have my lights on. Maybe i haven't seem some in the past and luckily haven't hit them. I drove to a local supermarket the other night,only to see some plank on an unlit disability scooter on the road. He/she only had the red reflective bits that come fitted with such things. Not even wearing a reflective high viz vest. Just why the feck are they so fecking stupid?! :thumbsdown:

Mind you,three years ago i was crossing the zebra crossing a few yards away from my flat,while wearing a high viz cycling jacket complete with my high viz cycling gloves when a car drove past me as i was half way across! Surely the git must've seen my moving reflective piping...he/she couldn't miss it!😒 This happened when it was going dark and the car that passed me on the zebra crossing had lights on,so they must've been almost dazzled by my reflectiveness!

Last edited:
Things Written Using Capital Letters For Every Single Word.
Totally Unnecessary In My Opinion.
It's called title case, and has its place.
IT’S LIKE SHOUTING
Over-emphasis maybe, shouting, no.
/pedant
:biggrin:

Deutsche Bahn began announcements telling everyone to wear a mask and keep their distance on trains some months ago. No problem there, but now they're using annoying jingles and "personalities" from German television and radio.

Now the announcement is twice as long because the "personality" introduces themselves (because that makes all the difference) and then tries to make jokes before saying something like "but seriously, you need to wear a mask and keep social distancing..."

For goodness sakes...

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Mind you,three years ago i was crossing the zebra crossing a few yards away from my flat,while wearing a high viz cycling jacket complete with my high viz cycling gloves when a car drove past me as i was half way across! Surely the git must've seen my moving reflective piping...he/she couldn't miss it!😒 This happened when it was going dark and the car that passed me on the zebra crossing had lights on,so they must've been almost dazzled by my reflectiveness!
Quite, the problem would appear to be the attentiveness, care, driving ability, whatever of the motorist, not what the ped is wearing.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Upside-down Union Jacks, or Union Flags, if preferred.

(Unless used as a distress signal.)

It's really not difficult!

Old people at cash machines who put their card in 3 or 4 times on the trot to get balance, get money, print a statement. In the same vein people with a stack of cards at a cash machine getting £10 out of each account.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I phone Calmac to make a booking or just ask a question I have to listen to about 5 minutes of irrelevant information about good they are and and where they sail to etc. before I get to speak to someone. The staff tell me there are constant complaints about this but obviously nothing they can do and I have now lost all my contacts with higher management anyway. Just as well it is an automated service as they must get sworn at constantly to F---Off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just think that one day i won't see a dark clothes pedestrian,even when i have my lights on. Maybe i haven't seem some in the past and luckily haven't hit them. I drove to a local supermarket the other night,only to see some plank on an unlit disability scooter on the road. He/she only had the red reflective bits that come fitted with such things. Not even wearing a reflective high viz vest. Just why the feck are they so fecking stupid?! :thumbsdown:

TBH I don't cycle in those conditions, there is a condition called 'Twilight Myopia' which is where peoples eyes won't focus correctly in 'halflight'. They may have perfect vision in the dark but during that 10-15 minutes of dusk they cannot see that well. One job I did I'd stand outside the works and have a fag before cycling home to avoid being on the bike in traffic in those conditions, this used to perplex one of the managers (the place ran 24hrs a day) until I told him why I did this.

So if we do 'do it in a way that doesn't risk injuring a pedestrian or a child' yet a pedestrian or a child get injured by you the driver, do you agree that it's not the driver's fault?

In Germany it is always the fault of the person who "Introduces the most risk" by their choices, so by definition when you drive a large metal vehicle that weighs a ton in a built up area you are introducing some element of risk by your decision. Driving in a way that "doesn't risk injuring a pedestrian or a child" is basically impossible by definition.

If you then hit a child or pedestrian you are therefore considered to be at fault, unless you can prove they were behaving in a deliberately reckless manner. In the case of hitting a child, this is considered near impossible, although you may have a case that the parents of the child shouldn't have allowed the child to be in a situation where a car could have hit them, the best you can generally get is partial responsibility.

The same applies to me on a bike: if I hit a pedestrian or child I'm liable unless I can prove otherwise, which is why I take the "shared space streets" here very seriously and ride at the proscribed 7km/h (4mph).

I then often find a driver right behind me and getting very impatient. On charming lady even threatened to sue me, which I found hilarious...

Last edited:
Top Bottom