Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think "wastage" covers both. But it's rather a long time ago that I worked in a shop ...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
So that's one.... :whistle: :rolleyes:

Dare one ask why? Genuine question. It's just that in my experience we tend to be into the sports we were raised on. How does a Glaswegian come to be into American football?

I started watching it in the ‘80s (I think) and found it much more entertaining than soccer or rugby. It was also a bit ‘exotic’ to me, a strange game that looked exciting and had unfamiliar terminology and rules. There wasn’t a lot of it on telly but I was hooked early on.

It’s a fascinating game, with chess-like strategies, misdirection, brute force, sleight of hand, athleticism, grace, precision, excitement, drama, humour, tragedy, and skill. I love it.

The current punter for the Cleveland Browns, Jamie Gillan, is from Inverness, a place you’d think more likely to produce shinty players than NFL, but there you go.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I started watching it in the ‘80s (I think) and found it much more entertaining than soccer or rugby. It was also a bit ‘exotic’ to me, a strange game that looked exciting and had unfamiliar terminology and rules. There wasn’t a lot of it on telly but I was hooked early on.

It’s a fascinating game, with chess-like strategies, misdirection, brute force, sleight of hand, athleticism, grace, precision, excitement, drama, humour, tragedy, and skill. I love it.

The current punter for the Cleveland Browns, Jamie Gillan, is from Inverness, a place you’d think more likely to produce shinty players than NFL, but there you go.

My eldest son lived and worked in Dallas for 3-4 years, he is now fan of NFL.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Both my sons, born in the 80s, got into American Football as youngsters when C4 used to show it.

While the elder one maintained a mild interest in it (though enough to stay up and watch last night's game), his younger brother got really into it, to the extent that his choice of uni was influenced by whether they had a team (a surprising number did 20-odd years ago). He still plays, including semi-professionally in Germany for a short period, and he's now also a qualified coach.

My wife and I would occasionally go to watch him play in the early days, but sitting through a whole amateur game is a bit of an endurance test ...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What balls? 🤔
So you can't see them either?🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not really annoyed,but certainly trivial. I ordered a pair of brown brogue shoes late Sunday night. I paid £3.50 for delivery in 36 hours and reduced price returns if needed. The shoes have just arrived. I can't fault their express delivery at all,but what's getting me is that the reduced price returns cost me 99 pence. The thing is that even though the shoes look perfect (i haven't tried them on yet) i feel the need to return them,:sad: to use up my 99p reduced returns.🧐
1612870513788.png

1612870972091.png

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not annoyed,more kind of amazed. About 10 minutes ago i was putting some bottles into the recycling bin when a young lady with a pram walked by. I asked her how old her baby was. Ten and a half weeks she told me. A quick calculation in my mind told me that would be near to,if not my birthday. I asked the date and the mother told me she was born on the 15th of November. "Wow,that's my birth date" i told her. Baby 'Penelope' is the only person i know out there who has the same birthday as me! The mother took a photo of me with Penelope and i took a pic' of the mother with her baby. So after years of trying to find another born on the 15th of November(er),i've now found one. To think,on the day i reached 60 baby Penelope was born!!:smile:

1612987947198.png

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This link might interest you https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/ .

It explains how, if just 23 randomly chosen people were in the same room, there’s a 50/50 chance of at least two of them sharing the same birthday. Get 75 people together and the chances increase to 99.9%.
Like i said,she's the first 15th of November person i've known of since my late friend who was 2 years younger than me. My point was that if i hadn't stepped outside to put those bottles out i wouldn't have met another 15th of November(er). Facts and figures blah blah don't come into it.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Like i said,she's the first 15th of November person i've known of since my late friend who was 2 years younger than me. My point was that if i hadn't stepped outside to put those bottles out i wouldn't have met another 15th of November(er). Facts and figures blah blah don't come into it.
Petula Clark's birthday is 15 Nov........so that's two people you know now.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Petula Clark's birthday is 15 Nov........so that's two people you know now.
Yes,i've always known that. Well,when i say 'always' i mean from my early teens when i looked it up. Not only was 'Penelope' born on my birthday,she was also born on the same day i reached 6 decades old. Irrelevant to some,but i find dates and events very interesting.

Top Bottom