Trossachs Ton 20th June - Roll Call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How did the TT go folks? When I went through to Stirling at about 4pm there was quite a strong deceptive wind but you seemed to have got good weather.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Yeah the wind definitely played it's part today!

Sam and I had decided that as we were only doing the 100k we'd do our best to get a good time. We saw Al and the start but it was pretty much a hello/goodbye before we set off.

We took turns on the front on the way out to Kippen roundabout and from there the wind didn't seem so bad until we turned south at Aberfoyle for the long straight to Balfron Station. The wind and the poor surface definitely slowed us down on that section, but we'd been pleased to get the first 20 miles done in under an hour.

Crow Road was done without any problem but the unexpected climb from Fintry up to Carron Reservoir took much more out of me. A small group formed just at the start of the reservoir (with Sam at the front), I was a ways behind but managed to catch them up and hung on to the back for a while but the road surface along the reservoir is quite simply shocking and being at the back I was hitting every pot hole going! (No warning calls or finger pointing, for the most part). I dropped off and kept a safe distance until the Carron Inn, but I was starting to struggle a bit. My left calf had been feeling tight since the top of Crow Road and was starting to feel cramps in my stomach (which thankfully came to nothing).

Sam held back here and we set off up the last of the small climbs to the top of New Line Road and I'm glad to say we caught and passed a couple who had been in the group earlier. Great decent down New Line Road into Stirling from where Sam took off (as he was still looking strong). I kept up as much as I could but traffic through Stirling and the beginnings of cramp in my right quad meant I had no chance of catching him to cross the line together.

It was great to see Carol (my Other Half) waiting for me at the line and I fell into her arms and it was all I could do not to burst into tears! LOL. I headed straight to get my free massage (even though I hate getting massaged) in the hope that I'll be able to walk tomorrow!

Anyway - 66.65 miles/107.26km in 03:44:32; Average speed 17.8mph

All in all an amazing day, I totally loved it even though I suffered at times. (Would have been easier to do the 100m route and kept a slower speed, I think)

Here's the Garmin link, the totals include a leisurely ride from my flat to King's Park so look at the Lap time further down on the LHS for the event time.

Roll on The Ken Laidlaw!

toroddf

Thanx to the organisers of TT and this page........... for a reason few will understand.

Until I spotted the 100 miles round, I did not know it was possible to cycle around Loch Katrine. When I found the map for the 100 miles round, I devised a route from Milngavie up to Aberfoyle and up past the the lochs to Loch Katrine, around it and back over the for me well known Duke's Pass, over Port Menteith, Bucklyvie, Killearn, Duntocher and Erskine Bridge back to Paisley again. I gather this is around 90 miles.
I am doing this tomorrow and I will take the whole day as a test for my 700 miles around Western Isles in July. The weather forecast for tomorrow is excellent. The pictures of the area seriously mouth watering and I am sure I will get an experience I will never forget.

To the guy here who put out the map of the 100 miles TT in this thread; I owe you a pint or two.

.......... but back to the TT competitors for their reports.

HonestMan1910

Über Member

All in all an amazing day, I totally loved it even though I suffered at times. (Would have been easier to do the 100m route and kept a slower speed, I think)

Well done scook :wacko:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:

Roll on The Ken Laidlaw!
That is seriously quick :thumbsup: :smile: :wacko::smile:

I'll be fortunate to see you at the end of the Ken Laidlaw - you'll more likely be half way home by the time I drag in :smile:

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
scoosh said:
That is seriously quick :thumbsup: :smile: :wacko::smile:

I'll be fortunate to see you at the end of the Ken Laidlaw - you'll more likely be half way home by the time I drag in :smile:

Thanks David! I know you were all disappointed I didn't attempt the 100 miler, this speed was my way of making up for that and trying to make the distance challenging. I have no regrets about the decision and am chuffed to bits about that time, but I won't be attempting that sort of speed on the KL! :biggrin:

Good speed Scook ;)

Did you say Eludino was in front, he was even quicker:bravo::biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
Thanks David! I know you were all disappointed I didn't attempt the 100 miler, this speed was my way of making up for that and trying to make the distance challenging. I have no regrets about the decision and am chuffed to bits about that time, but I won't be attempting that sort of speed on the KL! :wahhey:
My experience, after doing the Etape Caledonia much faster than I had imagined, is that my average speeds have gone up quite markedly. :biggrin:

My bro-in-law is an athletics coach and he says that, to make someone run faster, they need to .... run faster :biggrin:. Therefore, their training is based around speed work, rather than distance stuff. Same seems to apply to us cyclists - if you want to go faster - go faster in training :hello:.

I'm not disappointed you didn't do the 100 miler, just that I know you are well capable of doing it. The only issue left for you to overcome is (in) your mind. Distance, speed, hills - no problems - you have them cracked now - if you can but believe it :biggrin:.

You can handle anything up to 200k without any worries - and the Snow Roads 300k ..... get signed up for next year :biggrin: !

See that eldudino ? He's competition for HLaB now ;) !

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scook94 said:
Yeah he was, the guy is a machine! I slowed him down today! :wahhey:

You're doing yourself a disservice, you didn't slow me down much. It was a great day, really enjoyed it. And Mrs.Eldudino wasn't kidding when she said she had work for me at home - I've shifted a playhouse and children's climbing frame from the neighbour's house, luckily the (very kind) neighbour was on hand with red wine for refreshments! :hello:

scoosh said:
My bro-in-law is an athletics coach and he says that, to make someone run faster, they need to .... run faster :biggrin:. Therefore, their training is based around speed work, rather than distance stuff. Same seems to apply to us cyclists - if you want to go faster - go faster in training

I quite agree, I don't do too much distance cycling but I do aim to train at 20mph+ and it certainly has made a huge difference to my fitness and ability to sustain speed, even over long distances.

scoosh said:
See that eldudino ? He's competition for HLaB now ;) !
Eh, no, I'm still too fat to be a grimpeur!!! :biggrin:

JimtheScot

That was my first ever 100 mile run on my bike and I’m chuffed to hell that I made it, think the tablet and flapjacks at Aberfoyle helped. . I started at 8.00am and finished at 16:30pm (8.5 hours), cycling time was 7.5 hours. I have no idea what my average speed was. Only got one puncture after going round Loch Katrine and hitting a pothole just before Aberfoyle. I found the Dukes Pass and going up the Crow Rd fine, my real problem was coming back down the other side of the Crow Rd, that’s when the pain kicked in. My left knee got really sore, my right foot was burning hot, my arms were in agony and the back of my neck was burnt to a crisp. The last 5 miles of the run heading back into Stirling was torture I whimpered with pain every time I turned the pedals, literally, but I made it and looking forward to my next 100 miler.

OP
OP
scook94

scook94

Veteran
Well done Jim! At least the last 5 miles was all down hill! Bet it felt great crossing the line? I felt really emotional on finishing, not something I was expecting. The Action slogan of "We Suffer, So They Don't" felt really apt!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:laugh: ;) :biggrin: JimtheScot !

Fabulous effort and excellent attitude !

Hope you have recovered a bit by now :laugh: and are looking forward to a wee 100k later in the week ..... :laugh:

Hope to meet you on a CC Ecosse Forum ride sometime soon :laugh:

Top Bottom