Trouble with rear gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've used Ergo/STI since they first appeared, they are as reliable as a Swiss watch.

The trouble is that they require everything to be properly set up, not misaligned, and be technically compatible. That's great with shiny new stuff fresh from the factory, but not so great on secondhand stuff that may have been knocked around and had bits swapped by a previous owner.
With the old-school stuff, if it can be physically made to fit to the bike, they will work. A DT shifter doesn't care what the sprocket spacings or rear mech pull ratios are. You move the lever, it pulls the cable, and the mech shifts the chain. I'm not saying they are as quick at shifting as STI, or as user-friendly, but you don't get all this nonsense where manufacturers have multiple standards, where mix & match compatibility of parts is a minefield.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The trouble is that they require everything to be properly set up, not misaligned, and be technically compatible. That's great with shiny new stuff fresh from the factory, but not so great on secondhand stuff that may have been knocked around and had bits swapped by a previous owner.
With the old-school stuff, if it can be physically made to fit to the bike, they will work. A DT shifter doesn't care what the sprocket spacings or rear mech pull ratios are. You move the lever, it pulls the cable, and the mech shifts the chain. I'm not saying they are as quick at shifting as STI, or as user-friendly, but you don't get all this nonsense where manufacturers have multiple standards, where mix & match compatibility of parts is a minefield.
Mix and match is indeed a no-no in many cases, and with second hand you've got to know what you're buying and test it thoroughly to make sure it hasn't been damaged or bodged. But for me the convenience of easy shifting and at least twice the number of ratios makes it more than worthwhile, especially with aging legs and living and where the definition of a flat road is the hundred yard bit between going up or down again.

I have used and raced on five speed friction systems back in the day and they were perfectly acceptable when there was nothing else. That's the beauty of bikes though, there is something out there to suit every style of riding and pocket. We're both happy with what we've got and that's the main thing. Many happy miles to you whatever you ride.

Gunk

Guru
Go and ride that bike on the road, expose it to the environment. Is the block age correct?

I don’t understand why you think this set up is a problem? It’s a correct period screw on 6 speed block but on a modern aluminium 700c wheel designed to fit the narrower frame, it’s identical to what was removed. I do ride it on the road and it performs perfectly, there are no mods to the drivetrain it’s all been replaced like for like.

Dry use only though, it’s only a toy!

814B1E64-E0D1-47E0-B890-A28ECC0B1052.jpeg

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I don’t understand why you think this set up is a problem?
It's a lovely bike but looks too clean and sparkly ever to have seen a road (thought (wrongly) image showed it on turbo). Not a problem. Was simply observing that the block looks like it's from a different century, that's all. I had to use one like it in 2014 when the 1980s 5 speed one failed me.

boydj

Legendary Member
On my old Mercian commuter I had bar-end friction shifters, which were the ultimate in flexibility. With a mixture of 9, 10 and latterly 11 speed wheels in the garage, coming down in the morning to a flat tyre was never a problem. Throw on another wheel and away you go regardless of the number of cogs at the back.

Top Bottom