Truly all-weather rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The RSP LAA918 Astrum rear Light - 1-watt (2x.5 watt) is the best I've ever had.
Ran it for over a year in all...and I mean ALL weather it is extremely bright, has for setting, one fixed and three flash modes.
I ave had it seat post mounted however, for the last 6- months, seat bag mounted.
Retails between £15 and £20 and takes 2AA batteries which last ages.

This is the fifth rear light I've had and I wouldn't get anything else now as my main rear.

I think there is such a thing as too bright, if there are other cyclists. I have followed people with lights so bright that they have affected my vision: looking ahead I just see red, looking anywhere else I see a black blob in the centre of my field of vision. Had to drop back to stay safe.

The RSP LAA918 Astrum rear Light - 1-watt (2x.5 watt) is the best I've ever had.
Ran it for over a year in all...and I mean ALL weather it is extremely bright, has for setting, one fixed and three flash modes.
I ave had it seat post mounted however, for the last 6- months, seat bag mounted.
Retails between £15 and £20 and takes 2AA batteries which last ages.

This is the fifth rear light I've had and I wouldn't get anything else now as my main rear.

Yes they are bright, so good I bought two, but they both broke on the clips inside which hold them all together

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
I think there is such a thing as too bright, if there are other cyclists. I have followed people with lights so bright that they have affected my vision: looking ahead I just see red, looking anywhere else I see a black blob in the centre of my field of vision. Had to drop back to stay safe.

Absolutely agree.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If the peanut in front of you doesn't adjust his light correctly, then of course he will blind you. This can happen with 20 quid cateye.

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Apparently we're invisible and should wear hiviz for our own safety, but our lights are too bright?? *Confused.com*

I think it'd be quite difficult to present a hazard to drivers with a bright rear red light (though possible). Definitely can be a problem to other cyclists, for example on pitch black roads when riding in close company

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think it'd be quite difficult to present a hazard to drivers with a bright rear red light (though possible). Definitely can be a problem to other cyclists, for example on pitch black roads when riding in close company
But that is a different issue, you don't use an extremely bright light when riding in groups. Just like if it's wet you put on mudguards.

However for commuting, there are other cyclists on the roads but I don't expect to be riding in a group and as such my safety comes first.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But that is a different issue, you don't use an extremely bright light when riding in groups. Just like if it's wet you put on mudguards.

However for commuting, there are other cyclists on the roads but I don't expect to be riding in a group and as such my safety comes first.

Do you not? I've riden in a group behind a dinotte rear light and its absolutely blinding as I've even said before.

HovR

Über Member
I also have the Mars 4.0, and for me it has withstood some really quite extreme conditions. As well as the usual rain, I've ridden through some pretty torrential storms and floodwater with this light, with no rear mudguard meaning the light was getting a constant soaking, and it hasn't leaked in the slightest. And this is with no modifications (such as sealant etc).

I agree that it is too bright for group rides, so I also have two low power Cat-Eyes mounted low down on the seat stays which provide a much less "in your face" light.

Yes they are bright, so good I bought two, but they both broke on the clips inside which hold them all together
!
Well there you go.
Never had a problem with mine and having used it for over a year, changed batteries a few times as well as back n forth between the seat bag, seat post and backpack, never had a problem.

See, it is worth getting differing opinions/experiences on here.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Why not ask them to turn it off/change mode/re-angle it?

Changing mode didn't make much difference. They probably could have re-angled it I guess.

Great light for riding in the day time or urban traffic. Not quite convinced of its utility in other situations though.

Top Bottom