Truly all-weather rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
The Mars was brilliantly bright and threw light well but it did not survive my new patented test of water tightness, unfortunately. I put it in a cold shower for a while yesterday and it rusted out by this morning, switch started malfunctioning.

Extreme? Yes. Stupid? Somewhat, but the shower was a fair simulation of a biblical rain shower imo.

Astrums are next. Still stupidly convincing myself that spending the £55 odd for an Exposure and its charger is bad value though. :thumbsdown:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Exposure lights are great, IMO.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The Mars was brilliantly bright and threw light well but it did not survive my new patented test of water tightness, unfortunately. I put it in a cold shower for a while yesterday and it rusted out by this morning, switch started malfunctioning.

Extreme? Yes. Stupid? Somewhat, but the shower was a fair simulation of a biblical rain shower imo.

Astrums are next. Still stupidly convincing myself that spending the £55 odd for an Exposure and its charger is bad value though. :thumbsdown:
Have you seen the exposure in action?
It is a very good rear light.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

You sure you clipped it back together properly - I've had a Mars 3 and 4 for about 3 years and no issues. The Mars 3 you've got to make sure you screw it together properly, but the 4 just clips. Squirt some WD40 inside it to clean it, and leave it somewhere warm to dry out.

You could always try out a Hope District :becool:

OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
Astrum was doing well til the clip (between light and holder) snapped going over some not particularly rough roads.

Doing the sensible thing and buying German :biggrin: Sigma Sport TailBlazer is next

Koga

Astrum was doing well til the clip (between light and holder) snapped going over some not particularly rough roads.

Doing the sensible thing and buying German :biggrin: Sigma Sport TailBlazer is next
Just an update, for what it is worth!
Recently I bought a Blackburn Mars 4, took me only one trip to get water inside resulting in the unit randomly switching on/off. It was on a wet road (it did not rain) for 2.5 hours on a road bike, no mudguards, so plenty of spray. Now it has dried out I can see brown dust carried in by the water.
I did, no doubt just like you, close the unit correctly.

Koga

That's the one I've got - had it for at least 4 years.
I like the fact that it can have one row of LEDs on solid and one row on flashing at the same time.
I have got that one to, very good waterproof light which does survive spray from my rear tyre and I have had it for years too.
But I am now after a small water proof rear light which is bright enough to be seen during the day (I find the above Cateye is very good for night / dark but not so visible during the day).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I have got that one to, very good waterproof light which does survive spray from my rear tyre and I have had it for years too.
But I am now after a small water proof rear light which is bright enough to be seen during the day (I find the above Cateye is very good for night / dark but not so visible during the day).

Yes, I'd say the main shortcoming is is brightness to size ratio. There are other lights that are brighter but smaller and lighter.

BSRU

A Human Being
Dinotte 400R very visible in bright sunlight but it ain't cheap.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I like my Nite Rider Cherrybomb. There are some reviewers complain about the bracket mind you, but as I clip mine onto my saddle bag it doesn't bother me. Very bright and hasn't let me down in over a year in most weather conditions.

Top Bottom