Truly all-weather rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

londondailyphoto

Über Member
nothing is waterPROOF, at least not for ever. The answer is multiple lights, so you don't rely on one. I also believe in having lights at different levels. I backup my Cateye with a strapon (oo-er) around the seatpost, and one on the rear of me helmet.

Koga

nothing is waterPROOF, at least not for ever. The answer is multiple lights, so you don't rely on one. I also believe in having lights at different levels. I backup my Cateye with a strapon (oo-er) around the seatpost, and one on the rear of me helmet.
No, but it would be nice if they are water / splash proof for years, and why not. I only want one, because I actually want to use it for daytime. I am now testing the lights I have by sealing the whole unit with cling foil. Test one has worked !

Koga

I use one of these Smart Lunar R1s http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/smart-lunar-r1-1-watt-rear-light/rp-prod56546?_$ja=tsid:46412|cgn:Smart - Lights|cn:Chain Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE|kw:205757UK_Smart Lunar R1 1 Watt Rear Light&gclid=CPGe7JqooboCFfSWtAodF0EAJQ

It's got a bright mode
low mode for when in a group
flash.

Had mine for 2 years now with no issues and the batteries last a long time too.

Thanks and yes nice lights, I am currently testing the lights by wrapping them in cling foil. I take the cap of and start from the batteries, over the lens and back, clip the back in and all should be sealed ...... Done one wet day and so far so good.

I used to use the cateye on the back, never had too much of an issue but then upgraded to the Blackburn 4.0 and really like it. I've never taken it off and its put up with all weather conditions over the last 5-6 months with no issue. It does sit under my saddle bag so gets a small amount of shielding.

Personally I am not bothered by how many modes a rear light has, solid and flashing is enough but I think it's a decent light.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights/mars-4-0-rear.html#.UCjW7aFmSXs
Maybe my riding but my first Mars 4.0 lost a tooth on its clip and flew off on a fast bend (unfortunately cars took pleasure in crushing it). Both clips have snapped of the replacement but continuing to use it in the munt seems ok. However, water must made it into that unit and the battery spring has coroded through and snapped but whereas previously I had used it on a mudguarded bike last winter it was exposed. On the whole though, IMO its a good light.

Koga

Maybe my riding but my first Mars 4.0 lost a tooth on its clip and flew off on a fast bend (unfortunately cars took pleasure in crushing it). Both clips have snapped of the replacement but continuing to use it in the munt seems ok. However, water must made it into that unit and the battery spring has coroded through and snapped but whereas previously I had used it on a mudguarded bike last winter it was exposed. On the whole though, IMO its a good light.
I have got that one, good light (not the brightest but good enough), but on my second ride on a wet road (ie spray), on my road bike, water entered the unit and the light started to spontaneously turn itself on and off.
I am now drying it out and if it is working again it will get the cling foil treatment test !

Koga

This is what I now do to water proof my not so water resistant lights :

Take the back cover off, use a good size cling foil (I use thicker industrial type), put the light with batteries down on it and fold cling foil around. Put the back cover on it (there now should be cling foil in the unit), use electricians tape just in case!

Whole unit including switch is now sealed of by cling foil, no more water in my units !

Picture 1 & 2 :Electron Pico Super 2 (very bright)

Picture 3: Blackburn Mars 4 (very bright but less then above Electron):

Attachments

• WP_000353.jpg
    WP_000353.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_000351.jpg
    WP_000351.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 25
  • WP_000358.jpg
    WP_000358.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom