trust your base training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ha - some of these comments are cracking me up...
One of these rides is labelled "160km spinning below LT" :rofl:
No **** - of course it was below LT, I mean who could ride pretty much continuously for 160km / 6 hours at (or above) threshold??
By definition, in simple terms LT is roughly "as hard as you can go for around 1 hour".
Next it will be "7 hour ride - below sprinting pace" :laugh:
Keep them coming though :thumbsup:

Yeah, I laughed at the ride titles too, mostly because spinning below threshold could mean anything from a recovery ride to a tempo ride pretty much :tongue:

gam001

Über Member
My brother used to be in the paras...you have to take your hat (beret) off to them...although they are a few sandwiches short of a picnic ^_^

Funnily enough, my brother used to be a PTI in the paras and is now a personal fitness trainer and mainly advocates interval training! His philosophy is to start with no. of hours per week available to train (usually only between 4 and 8 for his clients) and work backwards from that. To get a training load sufficient to stress the body for improvement off few hours, he says that it mainly has to be intensive work. He only uses lower intensities for recovery weeks (or a recovery month after several consecutive hard months). Obviously, if you have (say) 15+ hours a week to train, then that's obviously a different story, and more lower intensity can be used early on to build a "base", but he would still build in at least some interval work. This all seems logical and reasonable to me.

Given how much Rob3rt has improved recently and how fast he is compared to most ameteur cyclists (he did 10 miles in 20minutes at weekend, off what seems to be only around 6-8 hours per week training), I'd probably be asking him for advice if I were you :thumbsup:

Mr_K_Dilkington

BTW, the above it not something I would say in general, I am only mocking/teasing because of the comments regarding riding at a high level and the self proclamation of being "Too much of a beast" thing :tongue:

Hah, had only just seen that. I can beat this by a good few mph after only riding for 3 months without any exercise for years prior (let alone being in the paras) and I would definitely not call myself a beast or presume to lecture others on how to train.

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Hah, had only just seen that. I can beat this by a good few mph after only riding for 3 months without any exercise for years prior (let alone being in the paras) and I would definitely not call myself a beast or presume to lecture others on how to train.
Well done

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Settle down lads. It's not like I'm saying slaughter a chicken and perform a woowoo rain dance am I. :smile:

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

Mmmmm bananas.

brand

My base has been 400 miles in the last week. All below threshold and a long way below. 100m Friday and 100m today.
Sorry for sounding garish as some guys have pointed out.
I am a git.
Okay I am an old fart but that sounds like over training. Clearly a great Way to lose lard but....?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

I would think not. But he seems nice enough. Teach someone something rob. That's what this thread started out as in the first place before the banana throwing contest started :smile:

Top Bottom