Try it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
I get this at work a lot: people they love early shifts (6am or thereabouts) because "then I have the rest of the day for myself".
Aye, but, when we start at 6, we also finish at 6 or even later!
Anyway, for me, starting at 6, finishing at say, 2, would not work: I'd go for a wee sleep once home, then up till all hours ^_^
That was me, cycle home for 2.45pm and then asleep around 4pm.

Bed at 10pm, wide awake :rolleyes:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My ideal shift is 11 to 8 @marinyork :laugh:
Or 5pm to finish: but those shifts are too short!

^_^ Good point, I suppose my original idea was aimed at people who go early then get up late.
When I was more interested in cycling than I am now, I used to go out for 2-4 hour rides at 10-11pm 2 or 3 nights per week getting in about 2am, quick shower, off to bed then up for 7am-8am and off to work. The other days I was up earlier and cycled to work which was usually a 3 hour round trip.

Dan B

Disengaged member
This alarming growth of good habits really means a too great emphasis on those virtues which mere custom can ensure, it means too little emphasis on those virtues which custom can never quite ensure, sudden and splendid virtues of inspired pity or of inspired candour. If ever that abrupt appeal is made to us we may fail. A man can get used to getting up at five o’clock in the morning. A man cannot very well get used to being burnt for his opinions; the first experiment is commonly fatal. Let us pay a little more attention to these possibilities of the heroic and unexpected.
G K Chesterton, "On lying in bed”

http://essays.quotidiana.org/chesterton/lying_in_bed/

Drago

Legendary Member
Because of Mrs D and her MS I'm in bed early. If I've not got anything planned it could be as early as 1900hrs. I'll watch tv , read, or surf cyclechat while she goes to sleep. Advantage is I get my 8 hours without fail, and early rising is is no problem.

KneesUp

Guru
If I woke up at 5am, so would my child.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Sometimes I do just that, in the summer when it gets light and I'm wide awake. I don't like to do anything noisy though, so was limited to making the kids' packed lunch and unloading the dishwasher.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
my whole life has been early starts, this last 3 years have been 4:30am getting up, one of my problems is that I shave and shower every morning, for the last 20 months, I get home at around 8pm go to bed at between 10:30-11pm, most days I feel fecked, it feels like i do nothing but work, on days off I'm up at about 6am and most of those feel like I've done feck all, constantly tired and this crap weather doesn't help,
so I suppose getting up at 5am and no work, yes it might feel like you have so much more time, throw in a days graft, feels like constant jet lag.

I work, so you are not alone on that one. Must admit it does not read like you are having a good time.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
it is what it is, somedays are better than others, just like most job I presume.....but this is the best paid job I will probably ever have, so you take the rough with the smooth.

Never stop looking, you never know what options are out there.

Top Bottom